SOLVED

Can't add members to private channels

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Brass Contributor

After creating a team and adding private channels, I can't add members to private channels consistently. Sometimes I can; sometimes I can't. Also having issues adding guests to teams.

95 Replies

@Christopher Hoard 

as of today this is still an issue. I cannot add members to private channels via the web or Desktop app, but it worked on my iPhone via the iOS app.

Best

Riccardo

That worked for me. thanks!

@CJSnell While I did not wait 36 hours, I did wait for changes to propagate.  They do take a long time (at least at the moment, while COVID-19 precautions are increasing usage).  In any event, it did not help: out-of-domain guests show as added to the General channel and the team, but still do not resolve for addition to private channels.  They do resolve on iOS mobile client and I am able to add them to private channels there.

At the moment, the same guest users also cannot access the team.  The invitation link in email does not work - users report a 404 error (not a pretty one, either - looks like an unconfigured IIS).

Apparently this bug is still occurring as it just happened to me today (3/20/20). Thanks for posting. Hopefully a simple wait of time will provide ability to add today's new members to the private channel. @Cathy_McK 

Help. I can’t add members to any team. But my contacts are all there.
Had the same issue and this worked for me as well. Thank you!

@Cathy_McK we have the same issue (three guests in a team, created a private channel, included two of the guests into the private channel, but we cannot include the last guest into that same private channel).

Resolved using the mobile app (there, the last guest was visible in the private channel list of team's member we can add, and I included them into the private channel!).

@Christopher Hoard 

Do you know if I add individual guests to different private channels within a team, are the guests able to see ALL members of the Team or are they only able to see members in their private channel?

Hi @d_rapp4

1.) You can add individual guests to different private channels
2.) Inside the private channel, they will see only the members of the private channel. They will see only the private channels they are part of
3.) They can, however still see all members of the Team if they click on the (...) next to the Team name and select manage team - this gives the whole roster of guests and users who have access to the team

Hope that helps

Best, Chris

Hi @Christopher Hoard,

I have the same issue. I can't add a Team member to any private channel. It works well with any other Team member. Worked sometimes from my cellphone, but not always.

I'm having the same issue. Can't add people to channels even though they are part of a team.
I've been having the same problem. Quickest fix for me was to use my mobile Teams app (Android) to add people. The nice thing about the mobile app is it shows a list of people you can add from the team, unlike the desktop app which has no list (for me anyway).

Same here, I can't add users to the private channel, even if they are in our Azure AD or O365, internal or external guest users. Also it doesn't matter which way I access Teams desktop app, mobile app or online.
lookup field displayes message "we couldn't find any matches" I even tried to add members from the admin pannel, same result.

@Przemyslaw Lis 

That sounds like they are not members of the Team, Private Channel members can only be selected from the members of the parent team.

Most of the rest of this thread relates to delays that can occur between a guest being invited and then arriving back in Teams. It's not ideal but can take several days.

@Steven Collier 

Thank you for your reply, looks like that's the case. I added few members to my test Team and after a while I was able to add them to the Private Channel. However from our point of view that makes no sense at all. We were hoping to be able to add members, internal and external without giving them access to the whole Team and it's resources.

The very idea of the private channel is to provide confidentiality for sensitive content/conversations etc. but that should work both ways

This fixed it for me. I didn't have the members in the Parent Team.

@Christopher Hoard It still hasn't been fixed. We try to add team members to a private channel and some users don't show up in the list. We need this taken care of ASAP.

Thank you

I cann't add guest member@Christopher Hoard 

Is the user a guest of the team where the private channel exists?

@sanjib-kr-kalita_959 

I spent almost 4 days to add member to team. now i have decided to use ZOOM.