Can't add members from an Office365 group

Copper Contributor

Hi Community,

I have created groups inside O365 with two types (O365 and distribution list) but whenever I try to add members to my Team using those groups' names here below what happens:

1- Distribution Lists don't even appear in the members list within Teams

2- Office365 groups display as unknown user when selected

Thank you in advance.

6 Replies
I have noted the same Today....it should work when adding a distribution list, a security group or an Office 365 Group to a Team. In all the cases what the adding process is going to do is just add the individual members of the distribution list, security group or Office 365 group to the Team

Hi Community,

To share with you more details about the issue I am facing, actually I do have a group of people who work on many projects (same people per group), and each project has a manager

Qst: How to allow each project manager to add those people using the previously created groups to his team without adding them individually ? because you can have more than 30 members per group, and many groups and projects.

Thank you for you replay @Juan Carlos González Martín.

@OthyTech 

I noticed the same issue. In the past it was possible to add members through a Distribution List (DL) but is no more. In my organization (School) we use it a lot. Can you enable it again please?

@Zabumba 

I got a solution for this (and another problem also). The DL is working but MS Teams, at this moment (and this is the change noticed) it only gives one match so you must insert almost the complete name of the group/DL. However, if you have another group with the same name+some more characters, it will not show it.

Example.

DL 1 name: 123_test_group_1

DL 2 name: 123_test_group_11

If you type 123_tes_group_1 nothing will appear because you have two DL matching and (as I can figure out) MS Teams can't manage it. (Note that this was working some weeks ago. Some update to the app did this)

Hi, we have the same situation.

We created an Office 365 group for each classroom, then we created more than 500 Teams because each student has a separate team for each subject. Fortunately at that time it was possible to add the students to the Teams using the Office 365 groups.

Now the Groups are not showing up when we try to add members to a team.

Is this a bug?

@OthyTech 

I am aware this thread is a little dated now, but we came across this issue and found that if you set yourself as the owner, then go into the actual teams, you can then "add member" and that will allow you to add a group,  you cannot do this from the admin center, which is ridiculous. 

I hope this helps anyone who ends up facing the same issue.