Can not delete a user from Private Channel

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I am trying to add a user to a channel, this user previously had a an account in this channel and since she is married she have a new email address , every time I am trying to add her with her new name it just default back to her old name.

I tried to delete/remove her from the use list, however I am receiving the attached error message. Out setting is guess cant create a channels.

Remove User.PNG

11 Replies

As the message suggests, the user is the last owner, so if you want to remove her you need to promote some other user to owner first. That said, changing an email address or display name shouldn't result in changing the underlying account or its group/team membership. Did you create a new account instead?

@Vasil Michev thanks Vasil for your response, the issue is I am not sure which channel she is the owner as we have 15 channels here . 

Hi @Harris021

If you go to Manage team > Channels, you can see a full list of channels including the Private ones.

On any private channels that you are not added to, you can click onto ... > Show channel owners and you can see if this user is a part of it. You'll have to repeat the steps for other private channels that you are not a member of.

clipboard_image_0.png

For any channels that you are a member of, in the Channel tab, go to ... > Manage channel and see the members list.

A manual process but it will help you to track down where this person is listed as the last owner of a private channel.

Hope that helps.

Cheers and best wishes

Damien

@Damien Rosario  Thanks Damien for your message.

Please see my finding at below:

I am the owner of the Team. and when I click on any channels I only see below options. 

there is no show owners option herethere is no show owners option here

Hi @Harris021

Manage team is in the ... of the team name itself. Your image appears to be the ... from a Channel

clipboard_image_0.png

Once in Manage team, go to Channels and you can see all channels listed to perform the earlier advice.

clipboard_image_1.png

See how you go?

Cheers

Damien

Hi @Harris021 

Basically two scenarios:

1. If there is a Private channel that you are not a part of, you'll get the Show channel owners option.

2. If you are a part of the Private channel, you can choose Manage channel and it will show you the Owners of the channel.

Cheers

Damien

Thanks for your response,

I managed to delete the user from MS Team admin centre, however I like to know why I cant see the options you can see :smile:

@Damien Rosario 

@Damien Rosario 

Please see the image at below:

Went to Team Manage Team, Channels, Clicked on ... 

List Options.PNG

Hi @Harris021 

Weird that you can't see what I'm seeing. Not sure why it's different for you.

At least you got the result you were after via Admin centre.

Good luck with your future use of Teams!

Cheers

Damien

Hi again @Harris021 

Hard to tell from your image as the ... menu is blocking the Type column, but Private channels are denoted by a padlock icon under the Type column, so for those specific channels you may see either option 1 or 2 of what I have previous described.

Cheers

Damien

@Damien Rosario Thanks for your time and help :smile: