SOLVED

Can a channel be changed from Private to Standard (public?)

Copper Contributor

I have a channel that's private.  I made it private so I could collaborate with a few people to determine the layout of the channel before opening up to the public.  How can I change the channel settings from private to public?  And if I can't, and must create a new channel (ugh!) is there an easy way to create a new channel using the private channel as a template or copy wiki content from private channel to newly created public channel?

4 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Sorry, no to all the questions! There’s no way to change it from private to public or vice versa. Also wiki and conversations aren’t exportable ootb. You can create a new channel and copy all files over pretty easily though!

@adam deltinger thanks for the quick response.  Using a channel to help ppl in my company learn how to use Teams.  Creating a Q&A using the wiki, but given that I can't transfer all the content from wiki into new channel easily (besides copy and paste), best if I move all the Q&A (FAQ) info into a word doc?  Where do ppl ask these types of "tips and tricks" questions?

Can you give me the steps to transfer the private channel content to a new public channel please?
this is where it all falls apart....the "move to" doesnt show public channels in the shared libraries quick list, not even if followed
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Sorry, no to all the questions! There’s no way to change it from private to public or vice versa. Also wiki and conversations aren’t exportable ootb. You can create a new channel and copy all files over pretty easily though!

View solution in original post