SOLVED

Calls from Polycom VVX phones to call queue dropped after 30 seconds when picked up by Teams client

Bronze Contributor

Is anyone else seeing an issue where, when a user in Skype for Business only mode calls a call queue from a Polycom VVX desk phone on the latest Microsoft-approved firmware (5.9.0.9373) and the call is answered by a user in Teams-only mode, the call drops after 30 seconds? The Teams-Only mode user has Busy on Busy enabled if that makes a difference.

I've had an incident open with Office 365 support for weeks that isn't going anywhere, and now they're telling me I need to build a test lab and capture a Wireshark trace, which I really don't have time for.

23 Replies
best response confirmed by Ryan Steele (Bronze Contributor)
Solution
Hello Ryan,
Please get a case opened at Poly support. I'm from the escalations team and currently working this issue with our development team. I have reproduced it internally and provided all the info for code analysis.

As a side note, Poly and Microsoft recommend the usage of the latest maintenance release built on top of a qualified release, at the time of this post, 5.9.3. Maintenance releases are automatically qualified.
Thank you

@Leonardo Mezzanotti Thank you for this. I will open a case with Poly as soon as I can.

Can you clarify what you mean when you say that Poly and Microsoft recommend using the latest maintenance release? Both this page at Poly's site and this page on Microsoft's site specifically indicate that 5.9.0.9373 is the latest supported version. Should they say "5.9.x.x" instead?

@Ryan SteeleI understand the confusion, sorry about that, the Poly's site wording is currently under review.

From the release notes page 2:

Customers in Skype for Business deployments should only use software releases that Microsoft has qualified or maintenance releases built on a qualified release

@Ryan Steele  Please let me know if it was working before? Trying to understand if something recently changed. Thank you

@Leonardo Mezzanotti The issue started occurring for us on or around July 23. 

Thanks, was it working before? The other customer that reported this issue just noticed it because they migrated to Teams only mode and are not using SfB clients anymore

@Leonardo Mezzanotti I thought everything was working correctly before, but I've just gone back through my notes and realized that it's possible that it has never worked correctly.

Just as a bit of background, the use case for us is a phone at the cashier's station in our dining room for taking take-out orders and reservations. We moved the associated user account to Teams-Only mode so we could enable Busy on Busy. This was done on July 17th and I believed everything was working at that point, but the first report of issues came in on July 23rd. 

I have attempted to open a support case through the supplier we purchased the phones from, but I've been advised we need a Premier Support Contract on our phones to do that. Do we have any other options here?

@Ryan Steele If your phones are under active warranty you are normally able to call your supplier which should provide 1st/2nd level support and then they should be able to open a case at Poly. If that's not an option then I recommend you check our Pay Per Incident offer and contact us.

@Ryan Steele 

We are running 5.9.4.3247 on vvx 600 and the issue is still there.  Anyone was able to overcome this issue?

@walter-wodzien I've got a call open with Polycom support now, hopefully they will find a solution. 

@Ryan Steele Any luck?  I have a customer that calls drop but only with their VVX311's, all other models are fine.  Your issue with Teams and VVX phones sounds similar.  Seems that all the 5.9.x firmwares fail, but "some" are stable on 5.8...  hard to narrow down Teams/VVX support stability.

Polycom support believes the issue is on Microsoft’s side. The Office 365 support tech has involved the backend team. Now just waiting for an update.

@Ryan Steele Any chance that the sites you're experiencing the issue with are using Palo Alto firewalls?  We narrowed the issue down to the firewall as the same phone off their network works perfectly fine.  Narrowing down the NAT to a 1-to-1 also resolved, but not tenable for hundreds of phones, so something is up with the pool of IP's being used for proxying to the internet.  The client has engaged with the Palo to find a resolution.

Renewing the mantra, "Its the network"...

@Korbyn Forsman No Palo Alto hardware in our shop, and I've tried calling the call queue from a phone that's off our network and have had the same issue.

From what the Poly tech has shared with me, it sounds like the issue in this specific case may be due to a problem with Microsoft's interpretation of the SIP protocol.

@Ryan Steele this is now working in our environment.  I can't think of anything that we changed so I am assuming MS did something to correct the issue on the back end.

Thanks @walter-wodzien. I've just tried a test call and it dropped as before, but maybe I just need to wait for this update to roll out to our tenant.

Just tested this again and it's still broken. It's been three weeks since I've had any contact from the Office 365 escalation engineer regarding this issue.

@Ryan Steele In case anyone is as foolish as I am and is still trying to get the promised support for 3PIP phones with Microsoft Teams: This call drop issue is still occurring. The ticket I opened with Office 365 support in July is still in progress and the latest update from the Office 365 support technician says:

I understand that this has taken long time. As the team is already involved and testing the same at their end too to get the fix for the issue. I am regularly trying to get an update from my team so that I can share with you, Unfortunately we do not have when it will completely resolved and I am also looking the information from my team.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ryan Steele (Bronze Contributor)
Solution
Hello Ryan,
Please get a case opened at Poly support. I'm from the escalations team and currently working this issue with our development team. I have reproduced it internally and provided all the info for code analysis.

As a side note, Poly and Microsoft recommend the usage of the latest maintenance release built on top of a qualified release, at the time of this post, 5.9.3. Maintenance releases are automatically qualified.
Thank you

View solution in original post