SOLVED

Caller ID not working on desktop application

Brass Contributor

Multiple teams within our organization require the ability to block their name and telephone number on a per call basis.  I have setup a Caller ID Policy with the following settings:

• Block incoming caller ID - Off
  • Override the caller ID policy – On
  • Replace the caller ID with – Anonymous

Once this policy is applied to a user, the user is now able to see the Caller ID option under Settings > Calls, which provides the user the ability to block their outbound name and number display.  We can successfully activate/deactivate this feature from the iOS Teams mobile application or from a Yealink MP54 Teams desk phone, but we are unable to activate the feature from our desktop client (1.4.00.16575) as the check mark will not save.  This is my first time creating a Microsoft support ticket and I am very frustrated and disappointed in the support they are providing.  They have indicated this is not a flaw or bug in the desktop application and they suggested I need to create another Caller ID Policy with the following settings:

• Block incoming caller ID - On
  • Override the caller ID policy – On
  • Replace the caller ID with – Anonymous

This policy does enable the Caller ID Block feature on the Teams desktop, but it also blocks the name and number for all incoming calls and also does not allow the user to deactivate the feature.  Microsoft Support indicated the enabling/disabling of the Caller ID functionality is done by the Caller ID Policy and it is the responsibility of the user to contact the company Microsoft Teams administrator to toggle the user Caller ID policies when the user requires their name and number to be blocked on an outbound call.  I strongly believe this is incorrect information and a user should be able to enable/disable the Caller ID Block on a per call basis on the desktop application as they can on a Teams mobile or Teams desk phone.  We will only be deploying desk phones in common areas and not all employees have a company provided mobile device, so this functionality is a requirement on the desktop application.  Anyone have suggestions on how I should proceed as escalating the ticket provided the same information from Microsoft?

10 Replies
Well, Microsoft documentation suggests the user should be able to control this - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/how-can-caller-id-be-used-in-your-organization#end-u... - and there is no specific reference to it only working on the mobile app as far as I can see. I'd suggest escalating your ticket once more and highlighting this.
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I agree with you that the user should be able to control the Call Blocking and there is no mention that it can only work from specific device. I have escalated the ticket once again and requested the ticket be routed to the engineering team that is responsible for the programming of this feature and functionality. Fingers crossed I get response from the appropriate team.

@WJ_Analyst 

Hi, same issue here with the Teams desktop client. I need to test specific PSTN calls as Anonymous but It's impossible to check this box. And I was able to do it months ago... I hope that you receive a positive feedback.

The ticket is now being reviewed by a Microsoft escalation engineer who will review the case notes and will then open a Design Change Request if required. I will post their reply once they provide their response to this issue.
Microsoft finally agreed that this issue is a bug. Please see their response below.

"I would like to inform you that I have revised the complete case summary and have also collected all the information shared by you. I also got some similar incidents reported by our different customer’s and it seems to be a bug. Please allow me to further investigate on this so that we can proceed further accordingly! By the time appreciate your patience and cooperation. Have a great weekend! Thank you for choosing Microsoft Partners Network."
Fix will hopefully deployed in 6 to 8 weeks.

"Greetings!
I also tried re-producing this issue in my test tenant and experience same behavior. I would like to inform that this is a known bug in Microsoft environment which is experienced and re-ported by multiple Teams users and Product Group team is already aware of this issue. Also, they are already working to get this fixed. I tried reaching back to Product Group team requesting an ETA on fix, so they confirmed that FIX is already on its way to deploy to all the Microsoft tenant, and it would be completed within 6-8 weeks.
Rest be assured I have also updated a request on your behalf and once this will be deployed you will be notified by Microsoft. Please let us know if we can proceed with the archival of this service request as of now?
Looking forward for your response!".

Thanks for updating. It's good to know this is being worked on.
HI all

Is anyone able to confirm if this issue has been resolved or not yet. ?
Recent testing indicated we are still experiencing this issue.

Cheers
Adam

@adammcdowell, we noticed that this was resolved for our company during the latest version 1.4.00.32771, which was updated on 2021-12-08.

@WJ_Analyst 

We are trying to block all calls without a call ID

The feature seems to have been removed

Here is the last MS community help.

No 6 is now missing in the Call ID policy feature.

This is exactly what we are trying to do.

Does anyone know how to achieve this at global admin level

1. Go to the Microsoft Teams admin center.
  2. In the left navigation, go to Voice > Caller ID policies.
  3. Select Add.
  4. Enter a name and description for the policy.
  5. Under Replace the caller ID with, set which caller ID is displayed for users by selecting one of the following: ...
  6. Under Block calls with no caller ID, select On.
4 Apr 2023
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I agree with you that the user should be able to control the Call Blocking and there is no mention that it can only work from specific device. I have escalated the ticket once again and requested the ticket be routed to the engineering team that is responsible for the programming of this feature and functionality. Fingers crossed I get response from the appropriate team.

View solution in original post