SOLVED

Calendar vs Outlook: Two Different Meetings to Join?

Brass Contributor

We're experiencing a weird situation where a scheduled Teams meeting shows up both in our Outlook calendars and in Calendars within Teams, as it should, but joining the meeting from either place opens up separate meetings, even though it is the same meeting, with the same name at the same time of day.

So we have people joining one meeting sitting around waiting, while everyone else is in the other meeting. Shouldn't everything be synced so that joining the meeting from either place sends everyone to the same meeting?

6 Replies
Had this happen to one of our meetings awhile back too. They technically should be the same since the calendar in teams should be your outlook one. I think there is a bug with something in using recurring meetings as ours was. We haven’t had the issues since the first meeting thou.

Was your meeting reoccurring?

@Chris Webb I think it as a recurring meeting. I'm checking into it now. I wasn't the one who created the meeting, so I'm waiting to hear back.

@Chris Webb It was a recurring meeting! Is this a known bug?

best response confirmed by mandel2019 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
not that i know of, but it happened to me on one, so I'm assuming it's going to be related, going to go check and try to repro since I'm wondering if each meeting is a different URL for each occurance, and the first one from Teams is using a diff one vs. outlook or something. Good place to investigate.

Similar thing happened to one of our meetings today. Some of our users were joining the meeting from a link in an email (using various Windows, Mac and iPad devices), others were joining from within the Teams calendar. A mix of users from both groups ended up in two different meetings with one group waiting in the Lobby indefinitely as the host was in the other meeting.

I double checked the links both groups of users were being directed to and they appeared to be the same. The calendar event was also a recurring appointment (the Teams meeting link was created in the series, not the individual event).

@Chris Webb we were advised by premier support to re-run the meeting migration service for the affected meeting host. This has resolved the issue in most cases for us.

Start-CsExMeetingMigration -Identity "username@domain.com"

I did also pose a question about the method by which we were converting users to see if there was anything we could do to reduce the number of occurrences of this issue, but premier support was unable to provide any guidance there. Initially as we were migrating, we ran a PowerShell script to set the co-existence policy for all the users in the migration, then set the policies for all of the users. I re-wrote my script to setup each user individually with the co-existence policy and the rest of our policies. This seemed to help, but I've only tested on a small population right now, and it was already a fairly small issue for us.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by mandel2019 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
not that i know of, but it happened to me on one, so I'm assuming it's going to be related, going to go check and try to repro since I'm wondering if each meeting is a different URL for each occurance, and the first one from Teams is using a diff one vs. outlook or something. Good place to investigate.

View solution in original post