Calculate Teams Bandwidth Usage

Copper Contributor

Dear all,

Can help guide me on how to calculate bandwidth usage for Group Video calling for 8 participants? The layout in Teams will be 3x3 with all video and audio turned on.

I saw a documentation on Teams bandwidth usage here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/prepare-network 

Do this mean I use 1Mbps/2Mbps (Up/Down) x 8 = 8Mbps/16Mbps (Up/Down) estimated utilization.

Thank you.

3 Replies
Hi,

You will use 1Mbps/2Mbps (Up/Down), the downstream (from the other participants) will be about the same with one video as with 8 incoming videos.

@Linus Cansby This is where I get confused. How is it possible that 1Mbps/2Mbps can support 8 video stream concurrently in a Group Video calling?

In a peer-to-peer call with only one video, or in a meeting with you and one other participants you will see each other in full sized video with a bandwidth usage about 1-1.5 Mbps. If a third participant joins the meeting you will see two videos, but they will be a smaller size since they have to share the space. When you are receiving 8 videos they are not full size, they are smaller video streams so you can see them all.

If you open Resource Monitor in Windows and then joins a meeting you can see the bandwidth usage for Teams and follow it when other participants join with video.

And if you use together mode or large gallery view it will only be one incoming video stream, all the video streams are merged to one video stream server side.