Bug Report: Quitting Teams app restarts it

Brass Contributor

Hello,

When quitting Teams for Windows the app restarts automatically by displaying the following message at the top "There was a glitch, and we had to restart the app. It's good to go now. until I quit it again and then it remains closed. Does anyone knows how to address this issue?

Thank you.

40 Replies
Quite frankly I think it's because Microsoft has become - sadly - the industry standard, which has made them as lazy as #(*#$#%#. Their being the industry standard is the ONLY reason I put up with them - I'd jump ship in a heartbeat if I could.

@GeorgeMakrakis  I have exactly this problem: I exit Teams, and it's caused my computer to completely freeze up at the worst possible times (e.g. during intensive processing sessions).

One time, after my HD was running so hard that everything (including sound) was stuttering and freezing, I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to get the Task Manager (which took 5+ minutes to appear).  It showed that Teams was taking up 3.8GB of memory and 91% of my HD resources!

The only thing I can suggest to others is, with @Bob Manjoney, that after exiting Teams (once or twice, as you require :xd:), get into the Task Manager and end the Teams task (since it's obviously still there after exiting) - that's the only way I've ensured that it goes away.

What's worse: I have Teams installed on a desktop, a laptop and a mobile.  Two months ago I deleted 4 Teams channels which were no longer required; on my desktop and my mobile they are gone, but when I boot up teams on my laptop they are STILL THERE after 2+ months and I CANNOT delete them.  Mobile and desktop, fine - my laptop, nooooo…..

Sorry....Teams sucks.  Microsoft, get off your collective butts and DO SOMETHING.

M$ fix this - quit means quit, not maybe later.

@LiquidFractalWe've unfortunately had to find an alternative and will soon remove teams altogether. Too buggy. Shouldn't be used in a production environment until it's actually ready. Genuinely sick of paying MS for beta software. And if it isn't beta software, then QC should all be fired... 

"Genuinely sick of paying MS for beta software" - nailed it.

And the crickets I hear from Microsoft's side of this says it all.

Nothing new, still happening on both my laptop windows 10 and my pc windows 10. On quitting Teams, it will restart automatically and needs quitting a second time for it to actually work. It has nothing to do with shutting down Windows, as I am juste quitting Teams. 

@PatrickC50 Thanks for this - I'll check this out when I get home.  Although I don't have to know whether or not it works to be annoyed that Microsoft - once again - troubleshoots its own products by suggesting that the end user perform system actions that the SOFTWARE should be doing ITSELF.  Typical Microsoft.

Hi @PatrickC50

Nice suggestion. I've tried this, but unfortunately it didn't work for me and my colleagues.

But even if it would work, I find it a cumbersome approach to fix an issue that shouldn't exist in the first place. I mean, come on. Clearing cache to prevent an app to automatically restart after you click the X? The MS Teams App just doesn't feel right. It feels sluggish, laggy, and very very beta.

My eyes are still on Microsoft to provide a (stable) solution to this annoying issue. But they shine in absence once again on this thread. We're paying customers, dangit!

@PatrickC50 Thanks for the suggestion, but it did nothing to help my situation.  Still glitching out when I try to exit (the only time it doesn't glitch for me is if I exit Teams without actually doing anything - which is, of course, useless).

And I'll reiterate: even if this did work, WHY should I go to such lengths to fix problems which should be handled by the software itself?  It feels like I'm bug fixing when MS should be doing this!

@PatrickC50I tried clearing all the cache listed in that post, including Temp Internet Files and whatnot. Did not help at all, Teams still restarts every time I quit it.

I'm with you! Running 3rd party PowerShell scripts to fix chat app? What if I'm typical freelancer / smb user and I just don't know how to even run PS? What kind of advice is that?

OK, guys, I fixed it on my Surface:

It works for me in exactly this config:

Annotation 2020-02-22 160754.jpg

heeeeeee, yep, changing anything will make it crash upon quitting... but I don't want auto-start!! What the....

@PatrickC50Didn't work for me, but I appreciate the suggestion. I have neither the time nor the inclination to chase after MS to fix issues it obviously has so very little interest in fixing. Frustrating...

It seems that this bug is fixed in the latest updates.

@GeorgeMakrakis Seems like it. I happened to have re-installed my machine last friday and got all the most recent updates for everything. When I exit MS Teams now, it stays closed. Like it's supposed to.

Would be nice of Microsoft to drop by and confirm that this issue is indeed resolved. I really wonder what was the actual cause of this.

@Peter Dam van  Yep - Teams seems to have quietly fixed itself; I'm not getting this issue any more either.  But this does nothing for my "consumer confidence" - was it fixed because someone took a look at Teams, or did some Windows Update haphazardly address the issue?

I ask because I know how sprawling and sloppy MS code and apps can be, so while I no longer get this issue (happily), I'm not ready to say MS "fixed" it.

@GeorgeMakrakis 

I fixed this by restarting the device and disabling GPU hardware acceleration in the Teams settings before it crashed.

IT too got fixed here by itself. i dont think disabling gpu acceleration has anything to do and will hurt your perfs more than anything.