Breakout rooms limitation for Teams meetings or webinars - number of participants cannot exceed 300

Copper Contributor

As understood today, Teams breakout rooms cannot be created in meetings or webinars that have more than 300 attendees, even if the number of attendees drops to fewer than 300 during the meeting. Also, creating breakout rooms in a meeting automatically limits the number of meeting attendees to 300.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/limits-specifications-teams

Our marketing team will not be able to fully adopt the usage of Teams (webinars) for their customer facing sessions unless this limit is increased, preferably up to 1,000 participants.

13 Replies
Thank you for the feedback, the team is working to raise the limits of the meeting size with breakout rooms involved. Timeframe is H1CY22.

Hi @Bryan Nyce

Just to confirm, even if you have an E3/5 (or similar) licence that allows for 1000 participants in MS Teams Webinar, you can not have breakout rooms for more than 300?

Also, could you elaborate as to what "H1CY22" means in literal terms, please?

Best Wishes

Kieran

Correct, 300 is the limit for Breakout Rooms.
H1CY22 -> Half 1 Calendar Year 22 -> January 2022 through June 2022.

@Bryan Nyce where will it be mentioned that this increased breakout room feature will be available or in development. I can't see it on the road map

Yes, lets get the number of participants and breakout rooms increased ASAP. We are currently having to move our large meetings to Zoom even when Teams is our main platform.
Agreed, I would appreciate seeing it on the official MS roadmap as well.
I would agree with the urgency as well. We have teams within our environment using Cisco WebEx...and some still using Zoom as well.

@Bryan Nyce has this feature been upped from 300 yet? we host social hour meetings and would love to utilize this feature for our 400+ invitee meeting (less than 250 usually attend) Very frustrating to be unable to implement the breakout rooms, even though the actual attendee count is within the 300 limitation.

No, this work is still in progress. I do not have any ETA to provide at this time.
Hi Bryan, Do we have update on this? This is one major blocker to use Teams breakout room during learning session.

@Satish Kumar 

Clarifying question.

I have 386 people invited to my optional teams meeting but not everyone will attend, I'm guessing that only around 100 will actually join the meeting and attend.

Q1. Once the meeting is started, if there's less than 300 people attending, can I create breakout rooms and can I use the automatically assign to rooms?

Q2. I read that if I create the breakout room ahead of time, it will limit the number of people who can attend to 300 (which I'm fine with).  If I do that, can I automatically assign people to the breakout rooms after the meeting starts (since it will not let me select that option ahead of time due to the size being over 300)?  

Any other help or assistance would be appreciated.   Thank you, - Kevin