SOLVED

Bluetooth audio out stops when using Teams

Brass Contributor

Hi everyone.

I have a pair of Taotronics Soundliberty 79 earbuds. They've pair fine with my laptop running Win 10 and work for listening to music. I've also tested joining a Google Meets meeting and audio works fine in both directions.

However, when I join a MS Teams meeting after a minute or two I can no longer hear audio through my earbuds, but the microphone continues to work and others can hear me. I need to go to device settings in Teams and switch to PC speaker/mic then back to the earbuds to restore audio which only lasts a couple of minutes before dropping out again.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to resolve this?

67 Replies

I am also experiencing this issue.  BT speaker connected, works fine, until a Teams call is made, or answered.  BT speaker is connected, and I tried force closing teams, however the only way to resume audio from the BT speaker, is to reboot the PC.

Win 10

Teams 1.3.00.13565 

BT speaker:  Logitech G560

Also having this issue.  Currently connecting using the Bose 700 headphones, they work fine in google meetings, webex etc for both audio and mic.  As soon as I receive or make a Teams video call, the mic continues to work, but Im not able to get any audio.  Change it to PC speaker and mic, and works fine.  If I ever do get it to work  for a teams meeting, if I disconnect the call, and reconnect into a new video call, the problem presents itself.  I have tried different Bluetooth headsets, and get the same problem. @JBF_SE 

I'm experiencing this issue as well with a UE Boom Bluetooth speaker

@ThereseSolimeno The issue is, audio devices, such as BT speakers stop altogether after a teams call.  My Jabra Evolve works fine, connected via the supplied dongle, and BT keyboard and mouse work fine.  BT SPEAKERS however, teams for some reason will stop streaming audio after a call, even though all connections are OK.  Can switch devices, from monitor speakers, OK. Laptop speakers, OK.  Headset, OK.  BT speakers?  NO, and even re-pairing will not work, a reboot is needed.

The specific speakers are logitech G560, and also tested with BOOM2 BT speakers, same results.

Hi again @JBF_SE  I've asked one of our program managers to review this thread and provide a more in-depth response.

@derekjwhitten  I'm having the same problem with the Liberty79s . I want to alternate using my Tribit BT headphones, which work really well within Team for both sound and mic, with the Liberty79s but, no matter what I try, I just can't get the consistency of sound or mic quality - few garbled mutterings from the Test Teams Call then nothing. 
The Libtery79s work well with other devices and apps, I just can't get them to work within the Teams environment.

Unfortunately I haven't found a solution for this so have started using teams on my mobile more often unless I need to share my screen because the earbuds work fine with my mobile.

I'm having the same issue with the SounLiberty 79. Two minutes is the longest. In my experience, in some cases, only some seconds go by until I lost the incoming audio. The mic seems to keep working, even though I couldn't confirm this with the other people on the call. If I switch to the laptop (Surface Pro 4) audio speakers the audio starts to work perfectly again.

@derekjwhitten any answer on this yet? i've had this 2 weeks in a row now with new clients. using apple airpods. worked on Zoom call just before. never works on Teams. also noticed that as soon as i enter the Teams meeting my bluetooth 'toggle' disappears! thought it was a bug in my laptop but obviously not. any idea where we can go to find answer to this thread pls?

I was having a lot of the same issues with drop outs and failure to get clarity of calls in MS Teams.  Especially with a set of Bose 700 NC on a Surface Laptop 3.  I researched some testing that had been done using Broadcom chipset Bluetooth dongle.  Ended up ordering an "MPOW Bluetooth dongle" for my Laptop and PC at home, and works without fail every time.  Just had to disable the local bluetooth adaptor first, but Its been working without fail ever since after 4 weeks and allot of video meetings during that time.

Hope that helps anyone here.

@AnnieH  unfortunately I haven't had any luck with this. I have resorted to just using the built in speakers and microphone, and joining calls from my mobile if I need/want to use my bluetooth earbuds.

@derekjwhitten 

Today I started using my TT earbuds and I encountered exactly the same issue. In my case I could find a way of keep using them with smooth sound BUT I closed Teams on the PC. After closing it I selected this option

JuanitoCisco_0-1596205731692.png(EarTrumpet context menu)

and the sound never stopped again. But in the moment I switched to the alternative Free AG Audio, the problem started again (even with Teams closed). I never needed to reboot the PC. So I don't know if it is software related or some hardware compatibility issue.

@JuanitoCisco I'm having the same problem with Surface Headphones 2.  The issues manifests itself in two ways:

1. When you're listening to music in another app and a notification from Teams pops up (e.g., someone has started a meeting), Teams takes over the Bluetooth connection, stopping audio from other apps, and plays the meeting notification sound.  It doesn't give audio back to other apps for ~10 seconds.  If I'm using a headset not connected via Bluetooth, the meeting notification sound will play over the top of any other audio without interrupting it.
  2. If you're in a Teams call, you can't hear the audio from anything else (notifications, other apps, etc.)
Same problem here with JBL Flip4. After 30-40 minutes the device turns off, even in a call.
When listening musing with groove, for example, it never turns off.
I've had this issue as well and it's super frustrating. I finally figured out how NOT to have to do a reboot.

I open the Services control panel, and restart the "Bluetooth Audio Gateway Service" (done by selecting that service, right-clicking on it, and selecting "Restart").

Depending on your hardware, your services might be listed under different names, but look for one pertaining to Bluetooth and Audio, and restart that one.

@bradleyboggs @derekjwhitten and all:

One of our program managers shared this article on Linked In a few weeks ago:

https://www.howtogeek.com/354321/why-bluetooth-headsets-are-terrible-on-windows-pcs/

@ThereseSolimeno 

I was aware of the difference between headphone mode (sounds great) and headset mode (works well for calls but not for music). Now I have technical descriptions which is nice, but doesn't solve the problem. ;)

As with the Author of that article, I'm using AirPods on the PC as well with mostly good luck and mostly good sound quality.

The disconnection issues we're seeing though still seem to be software based, either with our Teams or Windows handles those connections. I can say that Zoom doesn't cause the same disconnection issues when running on windows, although we don't use it anywhere near as much as Teams so it could just be good luck that we haven't hit that snag yet. I do believe the issue lies Windows' or Teams' handling of the bluetooth connection and that they might need some work, but it's hard to say.

It seems like you might be trying to deflect responsibility for the issue, but the fact remains - Bluetooth Audio Gateway Service which seems to be what's crashing? Microsoft. Windows? Microsoft. Teams? Microsoft.

Pretty sure at it's core, it's still a microsoft issue.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@ThereseSolimeno 

I've been criticizing Microsoft for owning the problem and doing nothing about it. I did follow the suggestion from Sven and updated the driver for my Intel Wireless Bluetooth device. With driver version 22.20.0.3 - 2020-11-27 the problem seem to be there no more. 

With that I was wrong in my opinion that Microsoft is to blame for the issue and that you deliberately would ignore the problems caused. I apologize for that. 

kind regards

T

View solution in original post