Best practice for multi tenant Microsoft Teams set ups (notifications seemingly invisible)

Copper Contributor

Just as a bit of background, I work as a consultant with multiple M365 customers that have their own Teams instances. I am hitting a road block though with the Teams feature in regards to communicating successfully across both my Teams instance, and my clients (where my clients have 2 x Teams accounts they have to switch between to talk to me, 1) their own Teams instance and 2) the guest access to my Teams account).

From what I've observed, Teams notifications across multi tenants are seemingly invisible from the external guest perspective. In other words you only see notifications for the Teams active tenant you are logged in to. Someone please correct me otherwise.

If there is new activity on a separate Teams account that you aren't currently active in, there are no alerts, pop ups or any visual indicator presented in the main Teams tenant. How can this be? It kinda renders timely communications across multiple tenants useless. Furthermore if I am logged into my mobile app for Teams once again new activity notifications from a separate Teams tenant are not surfaced unless you switch and manage to spot them. Shouldn't there at least be a push notification or something? I couldn't see any.

The only way to actually get the alert is to seemingly by luck switch tenants and spot the alert which is not a good solution.

In light of this, has anyone encountered the same or worked out a way to successfully use multi tenant Teams set ups with external users? Do I have to get them to set up a separate browser/profile to be logged into the other Teams account online?

Any thoughts appreciated.

5 Replies
Separate browsers/profiles is probably the best option here, as it doesn't look like we're getting multi-account support in teams anytime soon. You can also try and see whether shared channels can help.
Thanks for this. Much appreciate the reply and suggestions. Hopefully we see some development to better support multi accounts soon also.
Nick, I am also a consultant and setup as a Guest on a dozen different client/tenants. More and more I am seeing real-time notifications pop-up from all tenants regardless which tenant I am currently using. (I am logged into Teams on several PC's in the office; all are acting the same way.) Teams on my phone (Android/Pixel) is also notifying me from the different tenants. Hopefully you will also start seeing this behavior.
Hello, I am trying to understand how I can have external guests be notified of files that are added or if someone @ mentions them or if there is a way to @ mention ONLY the external guests? If not, then the @ mention the channel might be the best way.
The external guests are only accessing Teams from time to time and they do NOT have the client, they are accessing often via the https://teams.microsoft.com/ web browser.

@Jeffery Hallett 

Its great to hear that it is possible, I have issues on users on another tenant not receiving notifications from my teams channel. What is the configuration to enable notifications from MS teams via another tenant?