Badge alert for teams channels

Copper Contributor

Is there any option to get a badge alert whenever there is a new message in one of the channels? (same as for chat)

11 Replies

@Shiri1205 It is available for specific channels but not as a default setting for all channels. Click the ellipsis (...) next to the channel name and select Channel notifications. Set All new posts to Banner and feed.

@Par Linderoth 

thanks, I am looking for a badge like I see on 'chat' when there is a new message in one of the chats. I wasn't able to set it for teams / channels

Shiri1205_0-1591171768639.png

@Shiri1205 by default, if you are @mentioned in a channel, or if the channel itself is @ mentioned, you would see an indication like this:

2020-06-03_09-22-16.png

@Shiri1205 If you make the setting I suggested you will get the badge in the Activity feed. That is where all notifications from different teams are put. If you click on the Teams icon you will also see a small badge/notification next to the channel name.

thanks!

@Par Linderoth thanks!

I think this would be great and not really satisfied with the current behavior as well. An activity feed makes sense to have all things but there should also be (like the Chat tab) a badge with total unread message count on the channel tab for those channels you'd like to have notify you in that way. For folks that live in "chat" most of the day it's never very obvious that someone is reaching out to you in your teams channel aside from going and looking or having everyone use @<teamname> or @<myname> which should be an option but not necessary.

Agree with @BryanCiaraldiTSB and @Shiri1205 to my mind the best behaviour (but could be configurable) would be to have all unread count towards a total unread count in the taskbar icon regardless of whether in the Chat or Teams section, and then the left bar showing how many unread in each of "Chat" and "Teams" icon, but only adding the "Activity" count as well IF @mentioned, otherwise inconsistent when some use a channel in Teams as a Chat window vs Chat window itself, which skews the way people use it, some just driven toward Chat instead, some @mentioning the whole channel each time they post in a Teams channel and some doing neither, then for those previously used to a Skype way of working in the past, and the risk of missed messages is then high as I've found.

@TomHawkins and @BryanCiaraldiTSD and @Par Linderoth :

Is there a place we can escalate this to Microsoft.  As a Director of Development I have my Development "teams" in chats because otherwise the people on the team never know if there's activity on the channel unless they get an @ mention which is not very helpful when I need to make the team aware of sprint notices, important notes about a particular module we are working on etc.

Any help on getting this in front of the right people at Microsoft would be great.

@IndyJones72 you could try Settings > Help & Feedback > Contact Support. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-do-you-report-an-issue-or-bug-a318252f-cc24-4e95-bec9... I haven't done this myself yet as I think it would go via our centralised support team who I know are already super busy plus everyone in our place is used to working around it via chat windows (especially because most were used to Skype/Skype for Business before) as you mention. All the best
Agree!!!