Background effects in teams not working unless signed in

Copper Contributor

If I sign into Teams using my personal account, background effects work fine. However work policy doesn't allow me to sign into my work account from my home pc, so I access meetings as guest not signed into teams. When not signed in, the option to blur background is available but doesn't work. 

How can I get background effects to work in teams when not signed in and accessing meetings as a guest?

22 Replies
Can't answer really as I don't work for Microsoft. But for the background effects on browsers "We expect this rollout to begin in late November (previously early October) and expect the rollout to be completed by early December (previously late October)". This was added two weeks ago.

For the browser questions
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/unsupported-browsers
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/limits-specifications-teams#browsers

UPDATE: July 1st 2022

All, it should come as no surprise that this issues persists a year later from post.  Today I was a guest in a Teams meeting for a job interview.  The blur option was the only option available to me in the background function.  Note: no upload option was available and I'm running the application installed on my PC, not thru a browser window only.  

At first, I thought the background issue was being driven by a setting of the Teams Meeting hosting company.   A family member ran  a test meeting with me so I could get my background options updated sort of as a dry run.   As you would guess, blur and nothing else.

However, after meeting with two different firms on Teams as a guest, I'm starting to think this is systemic.  I don't believe that the meeting hosting company is choosing to push this onto its meeting attendees.  Its a bug!

To me, this is a huge disadvantage to Microsoft as a meeting software.  If I can't control the background beyond blur I may no longer be willing to interview with "MS Teams" utilizing companies.  This will eventually lead to firms dumping MS Teams if enough of us reject it as a viable meeting software.  I get that MS Teams is part of Microsoft and they command of the Office environment with their suite of products.   However, blurring does not truly hide a background entirely.  You certainly can make out details over time with the blur function.

That said, I don't know how to get on the band wagon or rally the troops to drive Microsoft to make this fix available ASAP.  Perhaps its a video on YouTube ranting on the issue and showing it to the world.  If enough of us complain, they will change.

I'm open to suggestions folks.  If its calling MS Customer Service, I'm up for that.  If its hammering them on social media sites, they are a tech company and should be expecting it.   Get off your B#tt Microsoft, enough is enough.

Chris

Anhertec Solutions

@Garethb83 

Hi @Garethb83! I am having the same issues when I am invited for interviews on Teams. The only selection available to me is BLUR. However, when I am on my personal Teams I have all the selections available and able to add backgrounds. I am surprised to why it disappears when the meeting invite is from an outside source? I hope you were able to get answers as I am waiting. Terrible thing to go on an interview with just a blurred background.