SOLVED

Automatically show this channel in everyone’s channel list

Copper Contributor

I'm sure this is extremely basic, but I'm not understanding the purpose of the channel setting "Automatically show this channel in everyone’s channel list".   Given that there is already a setting to determine private vs available to all team members, I am not seeing the purpose. 

Possibly the thing I'm missing is that our organization has barely used Teams (beyond chat) so far, and no team has more than a couple channels.  But the only documentation I find seems to just re-state the same words that are communicated by the setting itself.  

1) Does this mean that when the Team has more Channels that can be visible at one time (I believe I read 10?), channels with this setting will be forced to visible?

2) Is it persistent?  That is, I see it now, but over time will it continue to be "forced"

3) What if more channels have this setting than are able to display? Just alphabetical or by date at that point?

Of course if I'm off-base on Question 1, then 2 & 3 may not apply.  Much appreciate any clarification.  Thanks! 

1 Reply
best response confirmed by TimMiller (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@TimMiller 

A Team can have any number of visible channels up to the overall limit of 200. If no one takes any action the Team will show general and the first 2 channels (alphabetically) then fold the rest under hidden channels.

If a channel is forced to show then it will be in addition to the default, and for all Team members. They can individually choose to hide it, but by default it is shown and to all new users.

Private channels are a little different, they only show to their members.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by TimMiller (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@TimMiller 

A Team can have any number of visible channels up to the overall limit of 200. If no one takes any action the Team will show general and the first 2 channels (alphabetically) then fold the rest under hidden channels.

If a channel is forced to show then it will be in addition to the default, and for all Team members. They can individually choose to hide it, but by default it is shown and to all new users.

Private channels are a little different, they only show to their members.

View solution in original post