SOLVED

Assign a number to a Teams channel to receive SMS

Copper Contributor

100% sure this is not possible native. Any work around ideas?

I have a customer that wants to assign Google Voice numbers to channels on a Team, so when a text comes into that number, the MFA message will come into that channel. Again, natively Teams cannot do this. I have found multiple 3rd party software to send and receive texts in Teams...however the interesting part is the channels. Is it even possible to assign a number to a channel in Admin center...any ideas?

2 Replies

Hi @YourFavoriteCollabMSTeams555555,

if you have Teams calling in place for this and you assign a phone number to a Teams call queue (via a Teams resource account) which routes the call to a Teams channel will start to play music on hold before anyone can get the call answered.

Some time I ago I wrote and blog post giving an high-level overview on calling in Teams channels: 

Calling gets integrated into channels within Teams in Microsoft Teams – erik365.blog

As of now there is, as you mentioned, no native solution that the SMS is received in a Teams channel with Teams voice capabilities. For this purpose you need a third-party app/services which provides the SMS capabilities and can send it into a Teams channel. 

In this case you should get the phone number from the third-party app/provider, you don't assign the phone number to the channel, you assign it to the "flow" which brings it to the channel to which it should be sent.

best response confirmed by YourFavoriteCollabMSTeams555555 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Thank you for the information @Erik365Online. That was helpful. 

I was able to test and confirm using a google voice number and have the text forward to a distribution group (in google voice settings). You could just forward it to the teams channel email address. I can confirm google voice works since I used it today. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by YourFavoriteCollabMSTeams555555 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Thank you for the information @Erik365Online. That was helpful. 

I was able to test and confirm using a google voice number and have the text forward to a distribution group (in google voice settings). You could just forward it to the teams channel email address. I can confirm google voice works since I used it today. 

View solution in original post