App setup policies not applying

Copper Contributor

In our environment, we've currently restricted the available apps within Teams to the general Microsoft family - planner Onenote, Stream etc.  We'd like to grant users the ability to add their PowerApps into Teams and pin them if required.   

I've created a Permission policy:

- allowed all Third party apps

- allowed all Tenant apps

- removed Powerapps from the Block specific apps

Created a setup policy

- Upload custom apps - on

Allow user pinning - on

I've added my account to both of the policies and verified the policies are their via the Users section.

No changes are visible in Teams - have closed the client, rebooted, nothing... 

Any suggestions? 

7 Replies
How long have you waited, these things can take hours+ sometimes to apply?
The ability to upload PowerApps to the Team - if you mean ones they have created in PowerApps and push to Teams via a zip file, are determined by the org wide app settings - upload custom apps which you have said are set to on.

If this is on, users should be able to see upload app in the Teams App Store. It’s a simple case of uploading the app there. Once uploaded it can be pinned assuming the app setup policy allows you to do that.

In terms of adding PowerApps as a tab in a channel that is determined by app permission policy. As Webb said, that can be propagation. Usually I find it’s 2 hours but I’ve had well up to 8.

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard  Thanks for the reply. 

You've said the ability to upload the zips from PowerApps is an org wide default setting?  It's either on or off for everyone? 

So, what's this setting in the custom Setup policy that I've created? I would have thought this would override the org-wide default?

Grant_Reid_1-1582154961264.png

Or is this the setting you refer to:

Grant_Reid_0-1582155355180.png

Turn this on, then restrict in the Global policy and allow in the second policy for certain users.

Absolutely - see the link I provided. That'll be what's blocking it

Best, Chris
Basically solution is this

Turn on the one in the picture above. Set the org wide policy in app setup policies to off. Create a custom app setup policy with custom apps to on. Apply the custom app policy to users who you want to upload apps.

That ought to work. May take a few hours to propagate.

Best, Chris