Anyone know if I could use green-screen background video in a Teams meeting?

Brass Contributor

I notice that the 'Simple green screen app' available in the MS Store is not in the Teams add-a-tab list of apps.

19 Replies
AFAIK no, but you can however use third party software to use a greenscreen then pipe that into a teams meeting

Have a look at a example here: ( 2nd speaker )

https://youtu.be/a8YXPWy1dL0

Adam

Thanks @adam deltinger, would that limited to Teams Live Events or could it work for Teams meetings as well?

I believe you can use the virtual cam in a teams meeting too! @Chris Webb
Yeah, you can use it in meetings, see the part where I had "Chris from yesterday" show up, that was in Teams meeting, all those effects where in a Teams meeting during that Usergroup that I did.

You can use OBS, a chroma key filter on your input, and output it to the OBSCamera plugin I showed then pipe that into Teams. Piping audio over is a much harder issue, but if all you want is greenscreen and you still use your mic for audio it's easy.
But also, keep in mind, when you use it in the meeting, you only get a 1/4 screen realestate. You can't fullscreen your video feed or pin your feed as the primary as of yet. If you want fullscreen you'll have to use live events.
That’s technically not green screen support ;)
Well, I it was thought it was close enough ;)

@Adrian Pratt Looks like it's still not implemented yet, I wonder when it will appear....

@Chris Webb 

Hi all- I'm new at this!
I'm a teacher working from home and would like to know how to use a Greenscreen with my logitech c922 in Microsoft team meetings. It seems like it's possible, but I'm a bit stuck. Does anyone have a step by step of how I can use this? I'm on a mac.
Thanks!

You have to add your background pictures to one of the app's folders. Sorry not sure which one as I'm on Windows.
%appdata%\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Uploads
There is the background feature built into Teams on newish hardware, but being on mac there really isn't a good virtual cam option for it. You can read this tutorial but it's not as easy as it is on a PC. https://streamshark.io/blog/using-obs-as-a-virtual-webcam-on-windows-and-macos/

@Chris Webb Thanks for your help mate! Should I then be able to 'pip' this into a microsoft teams meeting?

@Michael1905 

As someone else mentioned, set it up using OBS as a virtual camera.  You may experience a little lag but it is normally acceptable.  So far as I am aware, Teams does not have the Green Screen functionality that Zoom does, for working with virtual backgrounds.