SOLVED

Any way to stop Teams muting me when I join calls?

Copper Contributor

When I join meetings, I make sure that Mute is set to "Off" - yet I am still muted when I join a call. This is infuriating as it means I inevitably start speaking and no one can hear me.
Seems to be a bug with the UI not matching what the application is actually doing.

Any way to avoid this until its fixed?

7 Replies
best response confirmed by m_a_r_c (Copper Contributor)
Solution
After so many people join (6 i think) Teams auto mutes people when joining since more often than not people join with tons of background noise. I prefer it this way tbh. It shouldn't be happening on smaller calls/meeting thou.

@m_a_r_c, are you creator of these meetings?  I am wondering if the person starting the meeting is clicking the "Mute All" button as soon as the meeting starts.

@Chris WebbThanks Chris - this kind of makes sense but I'd expect it to be more obvious, different behavior based on an arbitary number of people is confusing. I have a decent(ish) headset with noise cancellation and so thankfully I'm not one of "those people" :) I also prefer to use the Mute function on my headset rather than Teams, as this gives me a reminder that Mute is on if I forget start speaking.  It would be great to see this more tightly integrated.

Is there a way to restrict an atendee muting the team organizer?

@m_a_r_c 

@Chris WebbAny way to disable this within the settings as its really really annoying, as I am happy controlling this via my headset, which is how I would normally control this... But on my headset it doesn't automatically switch the teams mute on / off. I've had to come out of calls, and rejoin, as I thought there was an issue with my headset of several occasions, as I was unmuting and muting via my headset and it was not letting me speak. Very infuriating. I know this is stupid Teams now, but need a way to automatically stop Teams from doing this.

@craig_williams35 If you do it as a prearranged meeting (In calendar) you can go back in and set WHo can present to "Presenter Only" which prevents attendees from being able to Mute All or you.

"more often than not people join with tons of background noise"

That is a ridiculous generalization. And if it was true, then the amount of noise should be used to drive the decision to mute the mic - not the number of people in the meeting. People with noisy backgrounds may join meetings of all sizes. People with quiet backgrounds may join meetings of all sizes. There is no correlation. This option should be up to the meeting organizer as well as each participant.

As an example, I work every day in a quiet office plus my mic has excellent noise cancellation. So this brainless automatic action is ALWAYS wrong in my case. ALWAYS. I have to revert this action at least 5 times per day. Which means I'm cursing Teams at least 5 times per day.

I fully understand how this makes sense as a default behavior. But ONLY when combined with the ability for users to override the default.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by m_a_r_c (Copper Contributor)
Solution
After so many people join (6 i think) Teams auto mutes people when joining since more often than not people join with tons of background noise. I prefer it this way tbh. It shouldn't be happening on smaller calls/meeting thou.

View solution in original post