SOLVED

Any way to @mention a channel from a private message?

Copper Contributor

Both people would need to be members of the team containing the channel. Coping and getting the long channel link is not a great solution.

Example below

Thanks for the help.

PRIVATE MESSAGE---------------

"hey"

"hey"

"Do you know where I could find the info?"

"yea, try @ChannelNamelink"

"thanks!"

---------------------------------------------

4 Replies
best response confirmed by clkoontz3 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@clkoontz3 

You can get a link to a channel or conversation and then paste that into your private message.  (Just click the ... next to the channel or conversation for the link)

You can't @mention and channel in a private chat.  The @mention is more to send an alert to the user/team/channel that you need them to look at a message or document.  It's not for creating links.

You can mention a Team and its channels in the context of the Team, but not outside what means you cannot mention a channel or a Team in a private chat

@systemsmaven 

Thanks, makes perfect sense. I guess what I'm really after is the Slack #channelname link system. Being able to quickly reference the Channel vs going and getting then pasting a really long link.

Thanks for the response!

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

Thanks, yea that part works great.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by clkoontz3 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@clkoontz3 

You can get a link to a channel or conversation and then paste that into your private message.  (Just click the ... next to the channel or conversation for the link)

You can't @mention and channel in a private chat.  The @mention is more to send an alert to the user/team/channel that you need them to look at a message or document.  It's not for creating links.

View solution in original post