SOLVED

Any plans to save directly to Teams sites in Office 2016 apps?

Regular Contributor

In current office apps like PowerPoint, Word,  and Excel, if we click File|Save As, if I go to our Team Site (not a teams site, but the default sharepoint created for each tenant), I can then browse all "sites and workspaces" and save files directly where they belong, but it only shows Sharepoint sites, not Group sites and therefore, not Team locations.

So we are saving files to our desktop then uploading to Teams. A round about way of doing it.

This is mainly an issue when we get files from email or create new in various office apps, especially PPTs which always come from Templates we have.

It would be nice if we could save them straight to Teams regardless of whether or not that team or any channel in that team is sync'd to our hard drive. 

84 Replies

Happy to report that this functionality has been added (though I'd love to it under a Teams menu rather than a SharePoint menu)

EDIT 1/23: I was wrong. It only works if you've already opened files from those teams into the Office app you're using. I can see a few channels in Excel to save to, but none in Word. Not incredibly helpful...

Hi

That's great - we are seeing this too.

I've posted elsewhere on this topic, but my other highly desirable feature is better Outlook -> SharePoint sites integration (i.e. the ability to save/load attachments from SharePoint sites, in our case not team sites, just standard ones)...anyone on this thread have any knowledge of whether this may happen?

Thanks

Angus

@Deleted wrote:

Happy to report that this functionality has been added (though I'd love to it under a Teams menu rather than a SharePoint menu)

I agree. I've told our people to stay out of "sharepoint" so they don't create files in the channel root folder, nor manually rename any folders that are the main channel folders. All of which have been done until I told them to say out of Sharepoint.

I updated my earlier reply to add that users can only save to channels if they've opened documents from those channels before. Not incredibly helpful...

@Deleted wrote:

I updated my earlier reply to add that users can only save to channels if they've opened documents from those channels before. Not incredibly helpful...

No. we've not seen that issue here. I just saved a test file to a channel and sub-folder I've never saved in.

Ed,

What does it look like? Perhaps a screenshot of the "save as" screen could help.

Obviously, feel free to blur out any private info.

Thanks,

Nathan

@Deleted wrote:

Ed,

What does it look like? Perhaps a screenshot of the "save as" screen could help.

Obviously, feel free to blur out any private info.

Thanks,

Nathan

It doesn't look any different than saving to any other folder in Sharepoint. It is just a folder. 

Ed,

Thanks for the quick reply.  

Our teams' SharePoint sites don't automatically appear under our company's root SharePoint folder along with the other, purely-SharePoint sites that we have. Are yours appearing side-by-side?

Thanks.

@Deleted wrote:

Ed,

Thanks for the quick reply.  

Our teams' SharePoint sites don't automatically appear under our company's root SharePoint folder along with the other, purely-SharePoint sites that we have. Are yours appearing side-by-side?

Yes. You cannot tell visually for us which is the old classic style Sharepoint sites vs the new Teams Sharepoint sites.

But we are all on Monthly Targeted (first release) build, and I am on fast insider.

You might be on the deferred channel, and you wouldn't be seeing it the same way yet.

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I'm not on Insider, so I'll have to wait it out. 

Ok, sort of a long convoluted way to get there, but it works:

In teams, Select the channel, click on the … menu and click on Follow this channel

Go to the application you and file you want to save and click on File - Save As -

Click the Up Arrow

until you see a list of folders, current - Frequent and Following

Scroll down until you find the channel you just followed, and click on it's icon

you now have the correct path in your Save As dialog, click Save

Hi, I can't seem to follow this on my device.  Which up arrow are you referring to?  I can't see one.  Can you upload a pic? I can't locate current frequent or following.

Hopefully this explains the process. 

I see this response was almost a year ago and yet we still don't have this feature are you close to sorting this or not @Christophe Fiessinger?

Thank you

@Carol Whitworth - all Office 365 channels have this now except the Deferred channel. If that is what you are on that is why you don't see it. But Insider, Monthly Targeted, and Monthly have had it for weeks/months depending on the channel.

You'll probably get it if you are on Deferreed in the next Deferred update. March I think? Not sure. Don't follow that channel release schedule too closely.

@Carol Whitworth

We actually released this feature in January, so you should start to see this in your monthly updates for Office 365! (If you are on a semi- annual cadence, you may need to wait a few months or so)

Hope that helps!

Patrick

Hi 

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but whilst there's activity here I thought I'd ask a related question.

I've gone down the standard SharePoint document library route (one for every client we manage), rather than using Groups/Teams. So - are there plans to attach from and save to standard SharePoint document libraries in Outlook. It's been asked a few times, but I can't see a definitive answer.

We get round it at the moment using the File Sync to save/attach from a local PC, but this isn't ideal for the web client if you're not on your main device, and a direct integration would be perfect.

thanks

Angus

There isn't even a good attachment option for Outlook with Teams. It shows recent teams sharepoint sites, but it isn't nearly as good as the Excel/Word/Powerpoint Teams browsing.

Having a team per client would give you the same as a sharepoint client (from a storage perspective) since Teams uses Sharepoint as its backend file system, but would give you the rest of the Teams package on top of it.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I did look at a team-per-client, but for a couple of reasons (Too detailed to go into here) I went with a document library per client. 

One thing this does mean is that users 'follow' one SharePoint site ("Clients"), and then see all the document libraries in Word/Excel/PowerPoint as a list of folders. This is neater than a list of Teams in those applications, which isn't a great UI.

I guess it comes back to my question - what are the plans for saving / attaching files in Outlook from SharePoint?? It's a basic function that's missing, particularly saving incoming attachments.

thanks

Angus