Android "appear on top" setting causing issues

Copper Contributor

My team at work is having some issues using the Android version of Microsoft Teams, and I'm hoping there's a work-around we're just not seeing.

Specifically, we do User Research on mobile apps, which involves getting members of the public to connect with us (via Teams) and try our apps while we watch. It is important that we are able to see their screen, so what we've been doing up to this point is connecting to our users with a Teams meeting using their mobile device, and having them share their screen. Lately, we've noticed that Teams is requiring a specific setting to be turned on, "appear on top", which makes it so the users are then unable to interact with the app (i.e. no button presses will register). 

Previously, we just had them turn this setting off. Lately though, we've been noticing that for some users, the Teams app will not allow them to share their screen without the setting being turned on, which means we need to get them to turn the setting on, share their screen, and then turn it back off again. Not the end of the world, but not ideal. We just had a user though whose screen stopped sharing whenever this setting was turned off.

My question is: is this setting going to be a requirement going forward? And if not, is there some way to avoid this issue that we're not seeing? To be quite frank, if this continues to be a problem, we're going to need to reevaluate what video conferencing software we use.

3 Replies

Hello @jafawcett   I passed along this URL to our mobile features team for comment.  if/when I get a response we'll note it here.

In the meantime, I recommend that you open a ticket at Microsoft Support or answers.microsoft.com, where agents are available to troubleshoot issues until a resolution is found.

@ThereseSolimeno - hi, was there ever any update to this? Having the exact same problem and although you can open/enable/share/disable as described it’s not great for users. Would like to be able to leave ‘appear on top’ turned off for Teams, but still be able to share. Thank you. 

@GmSoton can you help us with a screenshot of the setting you are referring to? Also is this issue on Teams Android only or iOS too?