Advice needed for troubleshooting emergency location by ChassisID/Port

Steel Contributor

First, we have our offices identifying location by subnets and wireless access point BSSIDs. We were asked to get better accuracy, so that led us down towards trying to location the users by the switch ChassisID/Port when running a wired connection. I was able to get a better understanding of what to look for in our log files by following this video: Location Services in Teams Understanding and Troubleshooting - YouTube

Looking at a client's logs - I'm not seeing any indication that Teams is sending the LLDP information in an attempt to look up its location. I have a location set with ChassisID\Port in our setup. I'm not sure where to look next - are there any windows settings that affect when the Teams client submits this information to the location services backend? We have a policy set up on our devices that lets Teams access location in the OS, but as far as I know that's the only setting that might affect a device. If it's something that needs to be set in our network switches, what questions can I ask the members of our network team? Networking isn't my background and what I've learned so far has been related to setting things up for emergency locations. Unfortunately, I don't get much help unless I ask specific questions so this is where I could use some additional advice.

Thanks!

3 Replies
Have you confirmed your switch does send LLDP information? One gotcha I've found while setting this up is that it must match exactly what the switch is broadcasting. I've found using things like `show lldp neighbors` to be misleading. The best option is to launch wireshark and set a display filter for lldp, then listen to what is being sent for the Chassis ID and the Port ID fields. I'll try grabbing an example today and show you. Juniper switches have the Port ID as a numeric value (usually same as SNMP Interface ID), while Cisco often has the Port ID matching the interface name such as ge-0/0.

What operating system are you using? It's been a while since I looked, but the Mac Teams client required an external application to make it work, not sure if that was resolved or not. For PC, Windows 10 was required, I don't think any elevated permissions were required though.

Another gotcha to be aware of is the Chassis ID can change on switches, depending on the manufacturer and their programming, if the master changes, or the master is replaced, your location will stop matching. To get around this, in installs I've done, we add all the switch Chassis IDs. Read the documentation for your switches here.
We're using Windows 10/11 devices. I'm really inclined to get a Mac at this point because they have that program that needs to be installed on them. As far as I've researched, it seems like LLDP should just be "on" as long as the driver is on the machine. The driver is on the device that I'm trying to get working and it is enabled.
I know this is old, but I had a similar issue and found an immediate solution. Enable LLDP on the NIC, make sure the switch has LLDP running too, your phones should have it as well. Set your address, or just confirm that you have AN address in your dialer on the softphone. Press ctrl-shift-alt-1 to create a set of media logs. Open the diagnostics-logs.txt and search for "cassisid" and you'll get the exact chassis name the switch is reporting to and how Teams is interpreting it. This was the only reliable method, every other way showed inconsistencies in the name. NOTE: not case sensitive, and you probably just need to take the MAC address and divide each byte with a "-", like aa-bb-cc-11-22-33