SOLVED

adjust volume for individual callers in a meeting

Brass Contributor

I was just wondering if there was an option that I had missed that allows me to change the volume of individual participants in a meeting. I regularly have meetings where some people are really loud, but some are almost inaudible. The only way round this is to turn up the master volume in teams, so I can hear the quiet ones, but this has the affect of making the loud ones even louder, which in turn leads to echo's and so forth for everyone else.. 

If there was a way to adjust the volume of individual callers it would be ideal (or if this could be done automatically to make everyone the same volume, even better).

15 Replies
Hi,
Audio volume is managed per device from the said device. It gets tricky when some may have a device very close to them and others may have this further away. By default Teams has built in capability to auto-adjust the mic level. So how does it work? if you set the mic level to 50% before the call. Teams smarts might push it up to say 80%. That now becomes the new default. This function can be a bit hit and miss, no toggle to turn off at the moment. Just remember, for the best experience, always use certified for Teams devices.

Would it be possible to get a system that exists in Discord, where we can adjust the incoming volumes of different participants?

Currently I have to constantly manipulate the volumes of people talking, not so bad when working at home and I can use my speakers, but when I am in the office and the speaker is right next to my ear I worry that it could damage my hearing.

Also is there some way teams can let individual users know how loud there mike is, so hat they can adjust their own volume on said device to a reasonable level?

Thanks
@Paul Bloem 

@BillUSBANK 

Currently (its unlikely that this will ever change, just think of the implications of someone else manipulating your mic..) each participant is responsible for their own volume controls, so the settings manipulating control is on their end. The setting to Microsoft Teams Client to "Automatically adjust mic sensitivity" is essential in keeping their volume to an acceptable level. 

PaulBloem_0-1629233170256.png

Also, always use audio devices certified for Teams to eliminate the risk of misbehaving audio.

Hope that helps.

best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

@Paul Bloem 

I'm not sure OP is really asking to be able to control another user's mic, but rather the ability to adjust the volume you receive them at from your side, much like Discord has.

If you have one user really quiet and, one user practically eating the mic, or really loud, you can't adjust the volume as it stands to be able to comfortably hear both participants, as they are both controlled by a single volume control, rather than independently.

Why does Discord offer this feature which a fraction of the budget offered to Microsoft Teams… The work is already done… offer a contract to discord to program individual volume adjustment sliders to each caller that a user can individually use and adjust.

Saying it’s tricky just sounds lazy on Microsoft’s part
You don’t adjust an individual’s mic, you adjust the individual input audio coming from each mic with a -100 to 0 to +100 personal volume adjustments for each individual you are talking to….with zero being the default unaltered input audio of an individual.

Then use the system audio to turn all audio up or down.

It’s not that complicated, it’s only math and ratios of input audio…. Complicated would be programming audio ai to cut high and low peak frequencies based on painful facial features based off are live images, auto adjusting the volume.
The problem is telling a ceo or upper management that the audio is junk and to turn the mike down when it’s much easier to adjust an individual’s input audio that doesn’t affect that specific users microphone settings…

You just need to adjust individual’s input audio just like we can turn the overall audio up or down
This has nothing to do with mics, just being able to adjust individual audio input just like the system volume turns all volume up or down.
Thank you and well said, that is exactly what I’m looking for as well…
We came across this a few days ago. Seeing that people asking for this for over 2 years looks really bad for Microsoft. This is a simple thing. Other apps like Discord, or TeamSpeak back in the days, offered it for free. I can't believe that Microsoft can't do that.

@IGGtx 

Totally agree with you, this should be done already since ages, I don't understand why it isn't implemented

My colleagues and I have a similar issue. Our boss's voice was damaged when he was a child, so he has a low and gravelly voice that we struggle to hear on calls.
His voice seems ok in Zoom meetings though so maybe we'll just start using that instead
So many simple gaming options allow this and the power house that is Microsoft cant make these programming changes. We are the product, not the Office w/Teams product. I hate to say it. If a bunch of young programmers can do this so can the bloated programming team at Microsoft. This is unacceptable. This is why people use other products, when they can. As a HIPPA shop we have to use compliant programs, and this typically equates to lazy programs.
Microsoft's attitude needs to be adjusted, as do many of their bloatware products.

my two cents.

@Jam31st 

I have exactly the same problem. Unfortunately, it seems to be an issue about audio and Not microphone. The Teams application could solve this only with one solution, creating an audio automatic normalization, similar to televisions and streaming services, where they adjust the audio volume normalizing different amplitudes for a fine experience.

This is a suggestion. I don't know how much effort is necessary, any way, this is my suggestion, I hope can be considered by Microsoft.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

@Paul Bloem 

I'm not sure OP is really asking to be able to control another user's mic, but rather the ability to adjust the volume you receive them at from your side, much like Discord has.

If you have one user really quiet and, one user practically eating the mic, or really loud, you can't adjust the volume as it stands to be able to comfortably hear both participants, as they are both controlled by a single volume control, rather than independently.

View solution in original post