SOLVED

adding or deleting Teams devices in TAC

Iron Contributor

Hello!

Not sure if TAC = Teams Admin Center behaves strange or I my expectations are fundamentally wrong:

Case1:
Say I have a brand new Teams device (say a MTR) setup with room1@mydomain.com account it does show up in the TAC of mydomain.com.
However if I simply logout and repurpose it by using room2@OTHERDOMAIN.COM it is still reporting back to the mydomain TAC for some time INCLUDING that the unit is now using an otherdomain.com account.
=> My expectation would be, that it would immediately stop reporting back to the old TAC as in not even disclosing what the new account is.

Case 2:
Let's move on and simply setup another MTR with our old MYDOMAIN account.
Now guess what? TAC totally freaks out, by still showing the account linked to the old MTR incl. showing its last known config incl. the otherdomain.com
BUT
assigning the CDRs of the new MTR to this very account.
So yes, TAC show the acount being offline for many weeks but CDRs from todays meeting (with the new hardware). There seems to be no way of forcing TAC to read in the current config of this very account.

CASE 3:
It keeps getting better. IF I delete this device from the TAC I would assume, that it comes back with the new info within a short time frame. But NO; even after waiting a few hours, there is still no MTR listed in TAC although the unit works perfectly.

Q:
a) what is the correct way of decomissioning an MTRoW and hand it over to another domain?

b) How to bring back an (accidently) erased device into TAC?

Thanks for reading through this.
HST

6 Replies
interesting find here Harald>
I have just migrated about 60 MTRs from our old tenant to new tenant and it would have been so lovely to be able to do this remotely simply by updating the username and password in the TAC and then that configuration saves itself and then you send the restart command and the device reboots into the new tenant. But guess MS have not thought about this scenario yet or don't care enough about it right now.
So i had to get local IT supporters around our global offices to manually type in new usernames and passwords and then the device appears in the new tenant TAC.
And as you have mentioned in the old tenant the device is still present and just listsed as offline. But there is no link in that old tenant TAC to the new username of device.

You also worry me slightly about the experience you had when removing a device from the TAC and it not appearing again.
I would have expected that the device does come back when the system is rebooted and the account signs in to Azure and Teams.
Thanks for your reply.
Indeed, the new HW still did not come up in TAC even after a reboot.
So I am a little bit lost for the moment as I have no idea how to re-add it.
Maybe doing a local reset of the MTR and starting all over again.
Or temporary using a different acount and doing the login/logout game a few times...
Matter of fact https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/rooms/rooms-manage states:
If you remove a device and it's still configured with a valid username and password, it will be automatically re-added to your Teams Rooms devices list if it connects to Microsoft 365 again.

This is clearly not the case in my setup. Fact.
OK; one important step further.
As it seems there is a WIN DEVICE AGENT Service responsible for this and this one is NOT starting on the MTR.
It failes upon starting with the following messages in its log
c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WinAgent\Prod\win_agent.json missing
AdminAgentPartial Device data sync state changed: "SyncPending"
[WinAgentClient] String reference not set to an instance of a string. Parameter name: s

thats not great. so what is your plan of attack?...is it time to reset the MTR computer or do you think you can fix the service that is not starting automatically?
Are you checking the service through the user profile ADMIN or are you somehow logged in to the default profile that starts up called SKYPE and checking the service from that user profile? Perhaps the service only runs automatically from the SKYPE user profile.
According to https://www.burgerhout.org/gettings-started-with-microsoft-teams-rooms-part-3/
onyl certified systems will report on TAC.
Since my Frankenstein-ish experimental MTR is far from being certified, this might the very reason why this one does not come up in TAC.
best response confirmed by Harald_Steindl (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Harald_Steindl Noncertified devices (home hacks) do not show in up TAC

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Harald_Steindl (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Harald_Steindl Noncertified devices (home hacks) do not show in up TAC

View solution in original post