Adding members to my organization (free version)

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I am having an issue when adding any new members to my organization.  they go through the join icon via the invite email.  they are able to create the account, I can see them in the organization but when they try to access the organization Teams errors out and says that they do not have access to the organization.

I am stumped as to why,  I am at 300 members but Teams free says I can have 500,000 so not sure if that what it is.

15 Replies
Hi, as they are added to your Teams free org. they are part of it, therefore the issue accessing your org. must be something else. Is this happening for all new users you're inviting? How long since they were added? Have them try the web app too, preferably with InPrivate mode to verify.

(300 was the previous limit but increased to 500 000).
Yes this is happening with all new users. I deleted a few older ones and the 3 we were trying to add were able to access it after that.

@Pralph98 Hi, did you ever solve the 300 per org limit? I'm experiencing the same issue now we've reached 300 users.

@ChristianJBergstrom Hi, oh okay, I read on the page below which was dated last month 500,000. I best have a cull! Thanks for replying. Kev.

Upgrade Microsoft Teams Free (classic) to subscription - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

@08kvek Let me investigate.

@Sam Cosby 300 or 500 000 is quite a difference. The support articles are not consistent about the number either, but as people are having issues when they reach 300..

so I had a call with Microsoft support and according to this doc here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/manage-your-teams-free-classic-organization-5208c55a-5d66... it clearly state that Free Teams allows for 500,00 members PER Org. but then if you scroll to the bottom of that web page and then click on teams limitations it then states 300 users per org. Once again victim of the horrendous Microsoft documentation!
That's is why we help them, so others don't get confused. It's rather difficult for the tech writers to keep up with all the changes and updates.

@Pralph98 Hi there - the short answer is both 300 & 500K. If you have a tenant that's signed up after a specific day (slipping my mind) in 2020 when the change was made, then you don't have to do anything and will get the 500K limit. If you had a tenant that was created prior to this, then the answer is 300. Since most of the product focus moving forward is on our SMB category in Teams (Microsoft Teams vs. Microsoft Teams (work or school) in Windows), we won't be retroactively pursuing the upgrades to free orgs created prior to the date in 2020. 

Hope this clears things up,

Sam

Okay thanks

@Sam Cosby  Thank you !!! if you could get that date that would be awesome!

It is also difficult for us to keep up with all the changes especially when we depend on the documentation to help us get our answers.
hello sir

We have looked into this problem and we have 3 reasons why we think that this problem is happening it is either your network or your computer which might be taking more storage. Or the other problem might be from the administrator's side.
Thanks @samridhi457 But none of the above is the case!