SOLVED

Adding a shared calendar to a Team

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm struggling with the fact that for some of our Teams, there is a shared calendar, automatically showing up in Outlook for every team member, but for some Teams there isn't.

When I go to Team settings and try to add an app, there's no such thing as an app called "Outlook", "Calendar" or "Groups". However, if I go into "Files / Open in SharePoint" and then hover over the team name in the Sharepoint view of the team I can see a difference on these teams when I look under "connected apps". The teams that have a shared "group calendar" in Outlook seem to have the apps "Outlook", "Calendar" and/or "Groups". But again, I can't seem to be able to add these apps to the teams that lack these apps.

I have succeeded to create a new team that has the "Groups" app connected, through following these steps:

1. Create a group in Outlook ("Add new group")
  2. Create a Team in Teams and choose "From Office 365 Group"

This team will have the App "Groups" connected to it, and thus, a shared calendar will show up in Outlook automatically for all the team members.

Now my problem is that I have a team with a lot of members, that doesn't have the "Groups" app connected, but they need the shared calendar. How do I do this?

I know that one solution is to create a new team following my own steps above, but then we'll loose all the chat history in the channels, and there's a lot of admin work to move all the files, etc.

I know that another solution is to add a "page" that is a calendar in the Sharepoint view of the Team, but that doesn't seem to create the same kind of calendar - it doesn't seem to automatically show up for all the team members in their Outlook calendar view.

Looking forward to any pros that can help me figure out how to solve the basic problem of having a shared calendar for our team.

10 Replies

Every team comes with a corresponding group, and the group in turn has a group calendar. But depending on how you created the group/team, it might be hidden - this is a change MS introduced a while back, supposedly to reduce confusion. You can check/toggle the group properties via PowerShell, more specifically the HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled property.

@Vasil Michev thanks for your insightful comment! I googled the property and realised that I'm not alone in this frustration :).

So...I'm "just a user" trying to get a shared calendar for my Team, and thus I'm not really an IT admin...you don't happen to have an example of what a PowerShell command might look like that would (1) check this property status and (2) set it to false? Or at least point me (and any other beginner reading this thread) to a direction where I could learn that without too much of a time investment?

Thank you so much :smile:

best response confirmed by Jonatan_TRR (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Well, if you're not an admin, you cannot change it :) Here's an example:

Set-UnifiedGroup GroupName -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled:$false

@Vasil Michev thanks a million!

:xd:I realize I can't change it if I'm not an admin, but in this case I have to tell my admins exactly what to do, because they're too busy with other stuff to actually learn about this...

With that being said...if you feel like keep helping noobs like myself - I take it that "GroupName" is the only variable in the command you suggested. How do I find GroupName? I'm sure i can't just put the display name of the group in Teams, right? Because it contains spaces. Is it enough with quoting it such as in the regular command line? Also, the team has changed name since it's creation, and the URL to the sharepoint page for the Team reflects the original name rather than the new one. So any pointers to how I know what name to use in this command would be highly appreciated :smile:

Best tell them to use the email address of the group.

@Vasil Michev Ah! Thanks! And that's the old name. Any ideas on how to change the e-mail adress of the group so it matches the new name of the group/team?

Same cmdlet... here's the help article detailing all the different parameters: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/users-and-groups/set-unifiedgroup

@Vasil Michev Wonderful! Thank you so much for your invaluable help! Hopefully this thread can help many other beginners also :smile:

@Vasil Michev Can you help with the script to change HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled:$false for ALL my groups? I would like all of them to be able to be seen in Outlook. Not just a few. Thank you.

@Vasil MichevHi ,I have created new team in Microsoft team and but I can't view it in Outlook group. How to get the same group on Outlook 365 group ?

Regards,

Anup 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jonatan_TRR (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Well, if you're not an admin, you cannot change it :) Here's an example:

Set-UnifiedGroup GroupName -HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled:$false

View solution in original post