Add external user to a Microsoft Team unable to do this

Steel Contributor

I have created a new Microsoft Teams using the admin center:-

newteam.png

where a new sharepoint site has been created and its external sharing setting will be as follow:-

externalsharing.png

so now i want to share the MS Teams with external users to allow them to use the sharepoint site which got created and other Teams components. now i went to the office 365 >> i tried to share the office 365 group with external user using his gmail account, but i got this error:-

frooffice365.png

also i went to the MS Team >> Add Members, but i got this error:-

addfromteams.png

similarly i tried adding the external user from sharepoint >> site permission >> Invite people >> "add members to group" :-

2options.png

but i got this error:-

memeber.png

the only thing i can do is to share the sharepoint site itself with external users,, but i can not add external to office 365 or MS teams .. so can anyone advice on this? seems there is a sharing settings for office 365/MS Team i am missing??

30 Replies
Yes, but I was referring to the desktop app adding the person there!
Yes, you cannot add guests through the admin center which you were originally trying to do. You have to add them through Teams client itself.

@Chris Webb wrote:
Yes, you cannot add guests through the admin center which you were originally trying to do. You have to add them through Teams client itself.

@Chris Webb 

Thanks for the reply. so you mean to add guests to Teams i can only do it from MS Teams desktop app only? and i can not do it from Team admin center or even from sharepoint site (using site permissions >>"Invite People">> "add members to group")??

Right, because you are inviting to the SharePoint site only if done from SharePoint. Admin center just doens't support adding guest accounts. You can do it from Teams Desktop, Web, or Mobile, but you have to be a Team Owner to invite the guests.

You can do it from SharePoint, but you have to click the Group link "x members" on the top right of the site homepage, this will give you the group members flyout, where you can add there. 

@Chris Webb wrote:

Admin center just doens't support adding guest accounts. You can do it from Teams Desktop, Web, or Mobile, but you have to be a Team Owner to invite the guests.

ok understood, thanks for the info.

You can do it from SharePoint, but you have to click the Group link "x members" on the top right of the site homepage, this will give you the group members flyout, where you can add there. 

yes  i know that i need to add them to the group and not to the SharePoint site,but this did not work, here is my test:-

1. i created a new Teams using the admin center and using the office 365 admin.

2. then from the Team admin center >> i add my username >>i grant my username owner on the Teams.

3. so i access the sharepoint site using my username (which is an owner) >> click on "Site Permission" >> "Invite People" >> "add members to group" (to add them to the office 365 group and not to SP site only) , as follow:-

admdtog.png

>> then i type-in the external user yahoo email >> click on share >> i will get this error>>

memeber.png

i also try to do this using the Office 365 admin, but got the same error. i thought this error might be related to the fact that we only allow office 365 admin to share sharepoint site with external.

now when i login to the Team desktop app using my username i were able to share the Team with the external user. so from this; seems that Team owners can only invite external user from the Team desktop app + they can not do so from the sharepoint site. same applies to Office 365 admin who can not share Team with external using the Teams central admin or using the sharepoint site....

You are going to the wrong place in share point to add members it’s not under site permissions you have to go to the group membership from the homepage at the top right there’s a link there saying how many members are in the group and that is where are you at group members

@Chris Webb wrote:
You are going to the wrong place in share point to add members it’s not under site permissions you have to go to the group membership from the homepage at the top right there’s a link there saying how many members are in the group and that is where are you at group members

@Chris Webb  no it is not the wrong place .. clicking on the link which saying how many members is exactly the same as going to "site permission" >> "Invite people" >> selecting "add members to group" , as follow:-

admdtog.png

this will add members to the office 365 group, it will work if i do it for internal user. now if from the above screen i select "share site only" then this will only add the user to sharepoint, but my steps are the same as what you are mentioning, try this from your end...

Oh yeh there’s that link lol.

@Chris Webb wrote:
Oh yeh there’s that link lol.

@Chris Webbno problem, but going back to my original question why we can not add external users to Teams from the sharepoint site?? while the same user can add the same external user from MS Teams desktop app?

I'll have to set this up when I get a bit later and see If I can reproduce.

@Chris Webb wrote:
I'll have to set this up when I get a bit later and see If I can reproduce.

@Chris Webbok thanks let me know how it goes