Add external user to a Microsoft Team unable to do this

Steel Contributor

I have created a new Microsoft Teams using the admin center:-

newteam.png

where a new sharepoint site has been created and its external sharing setting will be as follow:-

externalsharing.png

so now i want to share the MS Teams with external users to allow them to use the sharepoint site which got created and other Teams components. now i went to the office 365 >> i tried to share the office 365 group with external user using his gmail account, but i got this error:-

frooffice365.png

also i went to the MS Team >> Add Members, but i got this error:-

addfromteams.png

similarly i tried adding the external user from sharepoint >> site permission >> Invite people >> "add members to group" :-

2options.png

but i got this error:-

memeber.png

the only thing i can do is to share the sharepoint site itself with external users,, but i can not add external to office 365 or MS teams .. so can anyone advice on this? seems there is a sharing settings for office 365/MS Team i am missing??

30 Replies
I can’t actually see the screens but my guess is that guest access on office 365 groups and/or teams is disabled:

Please go through this doc:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/guest-access-checklist
Also see:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/set-up-guests

Make sure to enable guest access for office 365 groups in the admin portal - services and add-ins - groups

@adam deltinger 

i have this already enabled as follow:-

guests.png

one important question, so the sharing settings for the office 365 groups can only be enabled/disabled on the office 365 level and not on each office 365 group level (as in sharepoint sites case)? so we whether allow external sharing on all our office 365 groups or we disable on all?

@adam deltinger wrote:
Also see:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/set-up-guests

Make sure to enable guest access for office 365 groups in the admin portal - services and add-ins - groups

@adam deltinger  thanks for the reply.. seems we have everything configured correctly in our tenant + we already have 2 teams which contain guess accounts, as follow:-

results.png

but not sure why i am unable to add external users to the new MS-Team/Office-365?

So what happens if you type the whole external email address in the add members section in Teams

@adam deltinger wrote:
So what happens if you type the whole external email address in the add members section in Teams

@adam deltinger  as shown in my above screen shot , i will get this error "we can not find any team members to add"...

@adam deltinger wrote:
You can change it per group via powershell:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en/office365/admin/create-groups/manage-guest-access-in-groups?view=o365-...

@adam deltinger  now i went to the guest account from office 365 >> Active users >> search for an existing guess account >> edit the "Group memberships" >> add the office 365 group and i were able to add the guest account to the office 365/MS-Teams.. but i can not add new guest accounts or do this for new or existing from sharepoint, office 365 group or teams... not sure what is going on?

I’m not sure but can’t see any pics! Might be my phone!
Anyhow, these isn’t the message you get normally here either!

Can you confirm and see if it find the address in the other team?

You sure you entered the complete external address?
This should be possible though! Also if this was a existing guest account in your AAD the person should come up as soon as you start typing the name!

A question also: did you select this person when it was auto suggested or continue to type the full address?

@adam deltinger wrote:
This should be possible though! Also if this was a existing guest account in your AAD the person should come up as soon as you start typing the name!

A question also: did you select this person when it was auto suggested or continue to type the full address?

@adam deltingertried both appraochies and get the same error... also i do not think i have a configuration or setting issue, because as mentioned before if i went to the Guest user from Office 365 >> Active users>> select a guest account >> edit members group >> i were able to add the guest to the Teams/Office-365.. but could not do this from MS Teams, Office 365 or sharepoint..

Did you add the other guests yourself or was it someone else? Is the account you are using an admin account? It could be that members aren’t allowed to add guests setting in Azure ad portal

Also can you add the guest from the teams admin portal?

@adam deltinger wrote:
Did you add the other guests yourself or was it someone else? Is the account you are using an admin account? It could be that members aren’t allowed to add guests setting in Azure ad portal

Also can you add the guest from the teams admin portal?

@adam deltinger  i am using the office 365 admin... now using my username (group owner) i were able to add external user to the Team using the desktop app !!! the whole thing is becoming unclear..

Yeah! This seems to be the issue then!

@john john Does your Office 365 Admin account have a license assigned to it or is it just setup with a Global Admin role and no license?

I have seen that doing certain tasks with a Global Admin account that does not have any license assigned, can result in strange errors or scenarios like the one you are seeing where something just doesn't work as expected.

If that account had no license, it couldn’t enter the Teams App at all

@Kevin McKeown wrote:

@john john Does your Office 365 Admin account have a license assigned to it or is it just setup with a Global Admin role and no license?

I have seen that doing certain tasks with a Global Admin account that does not have any license assigned, can result in strange errors or scenarios like the one you are seeing where something just doesn't work as expected.

@Kevin McKeown  I think the admin does not have a license or mail box.. but using the Office 365 admin i created the MS Team i am asking about (as mentioned in my original question.), so not sure if he actually have a license or not? or the admin can create MS Team even if he does bot have license?

But i login using my username which has a license to teams and also whom is the Team owner,  and i tried to add an external user from sharepoint site  , where i got this error:-

memeber.png

while when i try to add the same external user from my Teams desktop app, i were able to add an external users.. looks weird :)

Wait, with what account did you get error messages in teams with before??

@adam deltinger wrote:
Wait, with what account did you get error messages in teams with before??

@adam deltingerI got the error with the office 365 admin, actually no one can access MS Team admin center unless the user is office 365 admin. baring in mind that i created the MS Team using Office 365 admin!!