Add a user to the Team's sharepoint site's Visitor group, did not show the Team inside desktop app

Steel Contributor

Using Office 365 admin >> i created a new Microsoft Teams >> as follow:-

newteam.png

>> new sharepoint site has been created >> then using the office 365 admin >> i access the Visitors group >> i added a user to the Visitors group as follow>>

visitor.png

now i thought that the user can view the Team inside his Teams desktop application >> but this did not happen >> i asked the user to logout/login to Team desktop app, but still the Team did not show under "Your teams" section, as follow:-

yourteams.png

also the user click on "create or join a Team" as follow

join.png

>> but the newly added Team where the user is defined as a visitor did not show up. so can anyone adivce on this please? how we can force the newly added MS Team to show inside the Teams desktop application for the visitor user?

15 Replies

@john johnyou added them to a SharePoint group, which is not the same thing as an Office Group (which is what Teams uses). Add them as a Guest in Teams and you will be all set. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/guest-capabilities-in-teams-d03fdf5b-1a6e-48e4-8e07-b13e135...

Ok! The user needs to be a member of that group in order for it to show up! The visitor group is no longer supported to use and will probably remove itself from the group eventually! If you need other permissions to files you can add other sharepoint groups to that site or change the members permissions to read ( not recommended and will affect all users in the group ) add the person as member directly from teams! You can add the person in the group from others places but it will not sync to teams directly! It’s can take some time!
Is this an internal user or someone outside the org?

@adam deltinger wrote:
Is this an internal user or someone outside the org?

@adam deltinger 

thanks for the reply the user is internal user

@Dean Gross wrote:

@john johnyou added them to a SharePoint group, which is not the same thing as an Office Group (which is what Teams uses). Add them as a Guest in Teams and you will be all set. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/guest-capabilities-in-teams-d03fdf5b-1a6e-48e4-8e07-b13e135...

@Dean Gross 

Ok thanks for the reply. so the user need to be a guest or a member inside the MS Team so they can see the Team inside desktop app? so even if i granted them to be the site owner (by adding them to the Owner sharepoint group), they can not view the Teams inside their desktop app?

Okay then! So as I described! Ask the owner if it’s a private team to add the user by clicking ... next to the team name or search for it in “create or join a team” if it’s public! Also in a public team any member can add the person too using the same method as a owner in a private team
Correct! They need to be a member of that office 365 group either by adding them there, via admin portal or teams admin portal or just simply add them from the Team itself! The last is recommended

@adam deltinger wrote:
Ok! The user needs to be a member of that group in order for it to show up! The visitor group is no longer supported to use and will probably remove itself from the group eventually! If you need other permissions to files you can add other sharepoint groups to that site or change the members permissions to read ( not recommended and will affect all users in the group ) add the person as member directly from teams! You can add the person in the group from others places but it will not sync to teams directly! It’s can take some time!

@adam deltinger 

ok thanks for the reply. when you said the user need to be a member , you mean member inside the sharepoint group or member inside the office 365 group? or does not matter?

Teams only cares about the office 365 group regarding membership

@adam deltinger wrote:
Teams only cares about the office 365 group regarding membership

@adam deltinger 

ok i removed the user from the visitor sharepoint group , then i added him to the office 365 group as a member. now the user can view the Teams inside his desktop app >> but if he try to access the sharepoint site using browser, he will get access denied.  but this should not be the case, as the office 365 is added inside the sharepoint member group, and the user is a member of the office 365 group, so the user should be able to access the sharepoint site is this correct? could be a matter of time to sync between sharepoint and office 365 groups?

Edit,, after 5 minutes the user is able to access the sharepoint site.. but this mean that members inside the office 365 group will always have Edit on the sharepoint site. in other words i can not grant a user Read on the SP site through adding him to the office 365 group, so they can view the Team inside their MS Teams app?

@john johnMicrosoft has decided to make it easier to manage permissions by only providing 2 roles in each O365 Group-Owner and Member, there is no Visitor Role,

If you absolutely must prevent someone from editing certain files, the best approach is to add another document library to the SPO site, grant it custom permissions, and then add it as a Tab in Teams

As Dean said this is the recommended approach! Technically you can set the members group to read only in sharepoint but it’s not recommended! Also you can break inheritance on folders etc but I would use a new library and add it as cloud storage or as a sharepoint library tab in teams instead

@Dean Gross wrote:

@john johnMicrosoft has decided to make it easier to manage permissions by only providing 2 roles in each O365 Group-Owner and Member, there is no Visitor Role,

If you absolutely must prevent someone from editing certain files, the best approach is to add another document library to the SPO site, grant it custom permissions, and then add it as a Tab in Teams

@Dean Gross 

so generally speaking any user added to Teams (and hence office 365 groups) need to be an owner or member. but if we have a requirement to allow certain users to Read while other to contribute on a list/library, then this list/library need to be outside the Teams ,, and as you suggested it can be a list/library inside normal sharepoint site and linked to the MS Team?

Yes, create another library in that site and customize permissions! Add it as a tab in Teams!

There’s also private channels coming hopefully this year which can help this scenario too

@john john 

What if you want to have members with read only access within a private channel?