Abysmal collaboration experience

Copper Contributor

This is more of a rant than a question and I'm interested in understanding if others have a similar issue.

We went 100% in on Teams and had planned to use it for everything, including collaboration with clients and contractors.  We've found that the overall experience for external users is, frankly, terrible.  Between a confusing onboarding process into Azure and eventually Teams and a complete train wreck when collaborating on documents, we're abandoning this use case until it's fixed.

We've had no end to problems in document collaboration:

• Docs getting corrupted and rendered unusable
  • One user (me) not able to load the latest version of a document from Teams into desktop Word (was able to edit in Teams, but Word kept loading a previous version)
  • Some users able to see comments and tracked changes while they were absolutely invisible to another user (yes, we checked the settings)
  • Serious lag in changes being seen between users

In general, our Teams experience lately has gone from mostly good to WTF levels.  The collaboration piece is just one recent frustration.  In addition, we're experiencing terrible lag in the Teams client to a point of distraction.

Not sure if this is just a temporary hiccup or if there are just architectural realities that mean this is what we get.

2 Replies
We're not seeing all of these issues, but editing through the Teams client has always been a little sluggish. Seems like there is a delay between Teams and SharePoint. For instance, if you open a file, close it and then want to delete it, it says that the file is still in use. It seems to take some time before Teams catches up. Maybe that's why you saw the older version.

Did you try to contact Microsoft through the support option in the admin portal? Could be the that your tenant is located on some very busy servers. We had our tenant moved, because of some "noisy neighbors', while being one ourselves.

Finally, I'm curious about your process for guest users, can you give quick description of what you did?

@Allan With Sørensen 

We have not contacted support yet.

For the guest access piece, we're adding people via Teams - adding guest email accounts to a channel.  The reports we're getting from people is that the process they have to go through to establish the account is not always as easy as would be expected, and this is coming from seriously hardcore technologists - actual IT people that know what they're doing.

We've gotten somewhat used to the lag between Teams and SharePoint for doc collaboration, but that doesn't explain the multiple file corruption issues, etc.  It's just not working.  If it was just us, I'd look deeper into what we're doing, but we've talked to others seeing similar issues, so it seems a bit wider.