A Guide To Using The Microsoft Teams Updates App

Iron Contributor

Microsoft recently released an called the Updates App that is intended to allow organizations to digitize manual and paper-based data collection processes. The app allows users to submit custom forms or to submit one of the several prebuilt template forms. Users can also author their own custom forms and schedule them to post to users as a request for an update. The forms are actually Microsoft Forms that are exposed in Teams directly and can include text, date, and choice type questions. While the app does include workflow capabilities, is it rather basic. Lastly, the app does have a major limitation which is at the time of release you cannot submit attachments to forms which is a bit surprising given the intended user base.

If interested in learning how to use the app, I've published an in-depth guide accessible at the link below.

How To Use The Microsoft Teams Updates App 

I'm curious if anyone has legitimate use cases for this app?

5 Replies
Thanks for sharing this with the community.

@LuiIacobellis as far as use-cases are concerned, we are using it for daily standup instead of having a virtual meeting, we do virtual updates with those 3 basic questions.

-What did I do yesterday? 

-What will I do today? 

-What barriers do I have? 

Thanks for sharing. It seems like it would be a good fit for facilitating a daily standup.

@LuiIacobellis , trying to figure out how to delegate a daily checklists.  My supervisors are now using Updates for their daily walk throughs but when they are on vacation I want to be able to delegate to someone else, is there a way to do this?

I believe you can click into the Manage tab and update the "update request" to push to the delegated user OR you can copy a link to the update and provided it to the delegated user. Unfortunately, I do not believe there is an out of the box formal delegation capability with this app.