2+ Years Later - SMS Support for Teams

Copper Contributor

It has been over two years since the request for an answer from Microsoft regarding SMS support has been asked. The community has heard nothing but crickets or canned "give us your feedback" responses. 

Based on the 119,000 views of that question, the fact that that question is still active nearly three years later and that there is still no response, I think the clear feedback is, we'd all like to jump two feet in with Teams as our Cloud PBX, but I suspect many hundreds of clients are unable to do so without SMS support. 

I guess the question should be: is there a definitive timeline for full SMS (and in a perfect world, Fax, as unfortunate as that is) support through Microsoft Teams. 

With so many businesses being forced to use VoIP systems to move to a remote-first workspace, I think this problem has become even more critical than ever and believe MS is missing out on a fairly large portion of clients who are turning to worse, telecom company provided  cloud PBXs, when they realize SMS hasn't been acknowledged by Microsoft. 

4 Replies

@RichJdSmith 

Stumbled across your post when I was also looking for an update on the SMS feature request.  It was prompted by pulling down a PSTN usage report for our communications credit billing.  It's been a long time since I pulled that report but it's now called "PSTN minute & SMS (preview) pools".  Maybe a hint something is coming, but I'm not going to hold my breath. 

Capture.PNG

@RichJdSmith 

Below is under Voice > Phone Numbers:

ITSourcePro_0-1623729865543.png

I can't figure out how to change it to "SMS on". Not sure what "SMS 4 apps off" means either, but it looks like it might be coming soon...

How about you try out Clerk Chat integration inside Teams. It enables sending and receiving SMS from Teams. Go check them out and than me later. :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Their features look good but most companies are not going to pay and extra $10 or $20 a month per user just to add SMS messaging when their VOIP plans already include it. Microsoft is really missing the boat on this one.