Now in public preview: Windows 10 native notifications

Microsoft

Description

We’re pleased to announce Windows native notifications for Teams users on Windows 10. With this feature, users will be able to choose one of two ways to receive notifications from Teams: the built-in Teams style, or the Windows 10 operating system style.

To choose a setting, users select their profile picture in Teams, then go to Settings > Notifications > Notification style. The default setting is Teams built-in. If set to Windows, all Teams notifications (@ mentions, reactions, etc.) will be delivered via the Windows OS notification system. Any notifications not acted on when they arrive will move to the action center, where users can view them.   

Flighting status

Feature now available to all preview users.

How to enable

• Users change the setting themselves. The default setting is Teams built-in. If the user does nothing once the feature is available, they will experience no changes to their notifications. Only if the user changes the setting to Windows will they experience their Teams notifications in the Windows 10 native notification style.
  • Per above, this is a user-level setting, available per user.
  • This setting is respected across all Windows desktop clients (supported versions) that the user is logged into.

Note: If you need information about enabling the public preview itself, see “Enable the public preview for Teams” below.

Supported clients and platforms

Windows 10

macOS

iOS

Android

Linux

Chrome

Firefox

Safari

Edge

Internet Explorer

Yes

Win 10.0.17763.288 build or later

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Known issues

• Teams notifications that go to the Windows action center may not be cleared after the user logs out of Windows.
  • Deep links into Teams from Teams notifications in the Windows action center may not work after 2 hours.

Known limitations

N/A

Enable the public preview for Teams

1. First, IT admins need to set an update policy that turns on Show preview features. Learn how at Public preview in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs.
  2. Users then choose to join the public preview individually. See for instructions.

Summary of public preview features

For a history of features in the Office and Teams public previews, see Release Notes Current Channel (Preview) - Office release notes | Microsoft Docs.

Send us your feedback
Got feedback on features in the public preview or other areas of Teams? Let us know straight from Teams via Help > Give feedback.

Thank you,

Preview Team @Tushar Pathak 

Quality & Customer Obsession, Microsoft Teams

3 Replies
it would be great if these notifications stayed in sync with teams. i.e. i am using teams actively, someone tags me and i read it from activity in teams (as im already working there). it still delivers a notification to the windows notifications centre and it doesnt go away until i clear it/click it. even though i have already read it in app
Do you know if there are any estimates as to when this might get out of the preview? This feature has been there for almost 5 months now and that's not including developer previews. Really can't wait for it to roll out to everyone as the teams notifications are a pain point for me every single day.
Thank you all for trying this out in public preview and sharing feedback. We are happy to announce Windows Native Notifications support for Teams is now generally available to all. Please try it out and continue to share feedback via Help > Give feedback.