Now in public preview: RTMP-In Encoder for Teams Live Events

Microsoft

Description

Create highly-polished events, featuring live streams, screen overlays, and more.  The new RTMP-In encoder for Teams Live Events will also allow your Teams Live Events to have all the features and external encoder support that Microsoft Stream offered for Teams Live Events. In addition, we will support public events, in addition to organization-wide events.

Flighting status

Available now for everyone in Public Preview.

How to enable this feature

These capabilities will be available to all Public Preview users who can currently schedule Teams Live Events.  For details on platforms required to schedule, produce, and do other functions in a live event, see: Meetings and live events (microsoft.com)

Note: If you need information about enabling the public preview itself, see “Enable the public preview for Teams” below.

Supported clients and platforms

Scheduling the Live Event and using RTMP-In

Window

macOS

iOS

Android

Linux

Chrome

Windows/

Mac

Edge

Windows/

Mac

Firefox

Safari

Yes

Yes

-

-

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

For details on platforms required to schedule, produce, and do other functions in a live event, see: Meetings and live events (microsoft.com)

How does this feature impact the existing experience?

When organizers schedule an event, after they have enabled Public Preview, they will see a new option for connecting an encoder: “Teams Encoder (Preview)”. 

1 RTMP-In Encoder for Teams Live Events.png

When creating an event using Teams Encoder (Preview), after joining the meeting the will be able to start their encoder streaming and send that live stream to the attendees.   

Producing an event entail deciding where your audio and camera feeds will come from. Teams offers two ways to produce an event

1. As a “Teams” event in which you share content from presenters' webcams and computer screens, or
  2. As a “Teams Encoder Event” in which audio and video feeds run through an encoder into the Teams live events platform. This requires an external app or device. 

In addition to RTMP-in this public preview will also give you several other benefits when using Teams Live Events, including:  

1. public anonymous attendees with Teams encoder events, and
  2. enhanced playback of recorded events with the option to add closed captions, transcripts, chapters, and comments
  3. the ability to use the same encoders as Stream live eventsSee supported encoders here.  

Getting the RTMP-In URL and RTMP Key: 

1.  The organizer can get the RTMP-In URL and RTMP Key, as well as turning on/off Secure Connection SSL, and regenerating the key.  To do this, join the event team meeting and choose the “…” menu in the top menu bar, then select “Meeting Options.”  The organizer will then see these links/options as in the screenshot below.

2 RTMP-In Encoder for Teams Live Events.png

2.  In case event producer is not also the organizer, once the organizer schedules the live event, the producer can use their Teams calendar to open the live event.  The the producer should then scroll down until they see the “Live Event Resources” section.  As in the screenshot below, the producer will be able to get links for the RTMP-In URL and RTMP Key.

3 RTMP-In Encoder for Teams Live Events.png

For further information

Known issues

None

Known limitations

• Closed Captions: Support is limited to CEA-608 and CEA-708 closed captions. 
  • Dual encoder inputs are currently not supported.

Enable your Teams client for the public preview 

1. First, IT admins need to set an update policy that turns on Show preview features. Learn how at Public preview in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs.  
  2. Users then choose to join the public preview individually. See Get early access to new Teams features - Office Support (microsoft.com) for instructions. 

Summary of public preview features

For a history of features in the Teams public previews, see Microsoft Teams Public Preview - Microsoft Tech Community

Send us your feedback 

Got feedback on features in the public preview or other areas of Teams? Let us know straight from Teams via Help Give feedback This is on the bottom left of the your client.

Give Feedback.png

Thank you,

Roman Frillarte

Quality & Customer Obsession, Microsoft Teams

7 Replies
Hi,
I gave this a try the other day - very cool!
Few issues/questions.
I was using OBS Studio and the built-in experimental captions, as well as the "cloud closed captions" third-party plugin, but couldn't get either of them to show in the RTMP stream. I had turned on the captions in the broadcast stage, as well as from an audience perspective, but the "livecc" was empty. I saw the captions generated in the preview for the "cloud closed captions," so I know they were working.
Finally, there doesn't appear to be any AI post-event captions and I was also hoping for a few translated options! Any suggestions?

@Jan_Steberl is RTMP-In encoder available for Teams meetings in addition to live events?

@Reeti_Jatania for more information on this, see the link below. Note that the Teams administrator will have to have set a policy, as the linked page describes, in order to do this.

Broadcast audio and video from Teams with RTMP - Microsoft Support

Hi Roman,
Do you have any advice for my post above?

@roman_frillarte thanks for your response, much appreciated. While I understand this is about broadcasting ‘out’ I am looking for RTMP-In encoder in Teams meeting which can allow bringing in different NDI sources/streams into a meeting.

Hello, When using Teams Live Events + NDI, in a production workflow; the program audio from the RTMP stream is played back to all presenters in the call. Therefore, their own audio returns back to them approximately 15 seconds later. Is there a way to avoid this? Obviously I could use a seperate Teams call for presenters and bring their video and audio into my production software, but this is disjointed and doesn't allow them to interact with the Q&A within Teams Live Events. Many thanks!

Has anyone got this working with a Haivision KB,  I've tried both enabling and disabling SSL.

@Jan_Steberl