Now in Public Preview: Quoted Reply for Desktop [web coming soon]

Microsoft

Description

Quoted reply allows you to select messages in chat that you want to include in your response. It is a great way to add context and clarity with who you are conversing with whether it is a recent message or from one earlier in the conversation.

Flighting status

This feature is now available to everyone in Public Preview.

How to enable

• Use an existing chat or create a new one. One on one, group, or meeting chat.
  • Example
    • User 1 writes multiple messages to user 2
      • KaushalMehtaLYNC_5-1631899983561.png

• User 2 opens the menu on the first message to use the reply feature
      • KaushalMehtaLYNC_6-1631900003221.png

• User 2 writes their response with the reply embedded
      • KaushalMehtaLYNC_7-1631900077404.png

• Final result after sending it.
      • KaushalMehtaLYNC_8-1631900089617.png

• A useful function available is being able to click on the quoted portion of the message. Doing this will highlight the original message and also move the chat display to that location.
  • The reply option is also available as a quick action by right clicking on the message you want to quote.

Note: If you need information about enabling the public preview itself, see “Enable the public preview for Teams” below.

Supported clients and platforms

Windows 10

macOS

iOS

Android

Linux

Chrome

Firefox

Safari

Edge

Internet Explorer

Yes

Yes

Yes*

Yes*

Yes

No No No No No

* mobile already supported

Known issues

None known

Known limitations

• Quoted reply is a chat feature. It is not available for channels.
  • This feature is supported in chats with external users except Skype for Business and Skype for Consumer as those experiences are plain text only.

Enable your Teams client for the public preview 

1. First, IT admins need to set an update policy that turns on Show preview features. Learn how at Public preview in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs.  
  2. Users then choose to join the public preview individually. See Get early access to new Teams features - Office Support (microsoft.com) for instructions. 

Summary of public preview features

For a history of features in the Office and Teams public previews, see Release Notes Current Channel (Preview) - Office release notes | Microsoft Docs.

Send us your feedback 

Got feedback on features in the public preview or other areas of Teams? Let us know straight from Teams via Help Give feedback 

KaushalMehtaLYNC_9-1631900135329.png

Thank you,

Preview Team, @Jason Schumacher

Quality & Customer Obsession, Microsoft Teams

50 Replies
Is there any plan to bring this to channels at this time?
When will we have it for channels? it's definitely less usable for chat since there are much less people whom we would like to respond quoting...
Is there any chance we could Reply using swipe left action? Or swipes are not supported by Teams?
Telegram is an excellent example here. Teams feels to be an old school app forcing a user to invoke menu first and then select proper action - too time and effort consuming actions for the most demanding function that btw should be in the app from the Day 1.
Hopefully it will be available for channel soon. It is needed for Teams desktop client. Sometimes I have to reply from Teams mobile so I can quote messages in chats and channel posts.

Opening the menu of the message is a little bit fiddly. "Swipe" the message or something like this would be much faster... BUT cool this feature is finally available :)

@Domel In channels, we write posts instead of just messages. You can reply directly to every post. I had few days to make my team reply to post instead of sending another one. This feature is even more powerful than the reply one in Chat as it brings back the whole conversation to the top (back?) of the conversation window. 

@Kaushal Mehta (LYNC) There is a new MC285886 for this feature, but the message is not clear if the feature is only for Public Preview or if GA. Can we have a confirmation? Thanks

Please enable a one-click reply, selecting from the menu is very time-consuming. Having a dedicated button for a reply when we hover over the message may be a good idea for desktop client

Excellent news. I've already directed some people on my team to enable preview and give feedback after a few days of use.
I will yet to test the feature but trust it works as described. However, its implementation could be better - invoking the dropdown menu to then select Reply item is so inconvenient way of achieving the thing. Why not to make it one click or one swipe accessible functionality....?
its 10% in GA and 100% in Public Preview

@VBasham there isn't a commitment to bring it to Channels at this time. I'll pass on the feedback to them.

There isn't a commitment to bring it to channels at this time. I'll pass on the feedback to them.
Swipe is available on the phone, but not desktop.

We posted an update to the guide above to alert folks that right clicking on a message will also quick open a menu to reply.
We posted an update to the guide above to alert folks that right clicking on a message will also quick open a menu to reply.
We posted an update to the guide above to alert folks that right clicking on a message will also quick open a menu to reply. Thank you for the feedback!

Hi Jason,
sorry, cannot like it. "Quick open a menu to reply" sounds funny :).
A challenge - can you guys make it even quicker? Like times as quicker and easier.