Now in public preview: Custom download location for files in Teams

Microsoft

Description

Currently all file downloads from Teams go to the “Downloads” folder and there is no mechanism to change it. With this new feature users will be able to choose their preferred download location for downloading files in Teams or specify a download location for each download. To enable this there is a new setting introduced under “Files” settings which would allow the users to change the default download location to their preferred download location.

Note: These settings will only apply to the files downloaded post the setting is done and will not impact any files downloaded in the past.

KaushalMehtaLYNC_0-1650903921725.png

How to enable

The new settings are under Files (Settings -> Files) which by default will be selected as “Downloads” folder (Mac/Windows). User can change this to any preferred location. Additionally, there is a toggle, which if enabled will prompt user to select location for each download.

1. Click on ‘Settings –

KaushalMehtaLYNC_1-1650903939769.png

1. Inside settings select ‘Files’ to see the 2 settings to define the download location

Supported clients and platforms

Windows 10

macOS

iOS

Android

Linux

Chrome

Firefox

Safari

Edge

Internet Explorer

Yes

Yes

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

How does this feature impact the existing experience?

NA

Known issues

NA

Known limitations

These settings are not applicable for Teams Web (i.e. Teams accessed via a web browser).

Enable your Teams client for the public preview 

1. First, IT admins need to set an update policy that turns on Show preview features. Learn how at Public preview in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs.  
  2. Users then choose to join the public preview individually. See Get early access to new Teams features - Office Support (microsoft.com) for instructions. 

Send us your feedback 

Got feedback on features in the public preview or other areas of Teams? Let us know straight from Teams via Help Give feedback This is on the bottom left of the your client.

Thank you,

Preview Team, @Soumitra Paul 

Quality & Customer Obsession, Microsoft Teams

10 Replies
I am on latest Win 11 Beta and Teams Preview 1.5.00.11070 (64-bit) but cannot change the defaualt location nor toggle the Always ask in the Files Setting. Have tried to deactivate and reactivate Public Preview, quit and restart Teams but to no success. Anyone have tried it too?
Thanks

@RikkyCitra 

Thanks for sharing the feedback.

Can you please confirm - if the settings are available under files but you can not change them or the settings itself are not available ?

@Soumitra Paul 

The Files Settings are available, but I cannot change them. 

@RikkyCitra 

Can you please submit Microsoft Support ticket to do further investigation on this issue 

@Soumitra Paul functionality is not available in public preview for menu (there is no option to change the download target in the Files tab. Files menu only allows me to change the "open with", nothing else is there.

@MatthiasRodler - Thanks for sharing the feedback. 

Can you please confirm which client you are using -  Teams desktop client or web client ?

@Soumitra Paul meanwhile the options appeared , sorry for missing to update the post.

@Soumitra Paul

Are there indications as to when this feature will go live? I am direly waiting for it and can't enable preview for me since my administrator is not willing to activate it.

@John_Bloggs_is_not_ava 

As per current plan, this feature is expected to be public ring by mid of next quarter.

I've just posted a video about this:

Most this comments have been "finally" - so this is a very welcome addition.