Now in public preview: Chat with Yourself

Microsoft

Description

Teams will now support Chat with Self, a way to send yourself messages, images, files and do everything you can in a regular chat. A Chat with Self is a space that’s just for you. You can try out new features within the confines of a safe sandbox, send notes to yourself, share content with yourself to be able to access it easier across your different devices, and more.

This feature will show up automatically in a user’s pinned chat lists, and they can choose to keep it there or remove it. If they choose to remove it, the chat will just live in the chat list. If the user wants to find it again, they can click on New chat, type in their own name, and start chatting with themselves again. The user can also go to their own people card and start a chat from there.

The content in the self chat is searchable through the search bar at the top of the chat list, however, the user cannot (yet) search for themselves in that search box. 

Desktop

KaushalMehtaLYNC_0-1655500374707.png

Android:

KaushalMehtaLYNC_1-1655500400335.jpeg

KaushalMehtaLYNC_2-1655500400340.jpeg

KaushalMehtaLYNC_3-1655500400342.jpeg

KaushalMehtaLYNC_4-1655500400350.png

KaushalMehtaLYNC_5-1655500400352.jpeg

KaushalMehtaLYNC_6-1655500400357.jpeg

User can search for themselves in the To: line when starting a new chat

User sees empty state of a new chat with themselves explaining the feature

User can send themselves messages and try out new features

User sees themselves in the chat list and in the pinned list (can unpin if they want)

User can also access chat with self from their own people card by tapping the leftmost chat icon

User can share things with themselves from their device for easier access later

iOS:

KaushalMehtaLYNC_7-1655500438485.png

KaushalMehtaLYNC_8-1655500438489.png

KaushalMehtaLYNC_9-1655500438491.png

KaushalMehtaLYNC_10-1655500438494.png

KaushalMehtaLYNC_11-1655500438498.png

KaushalMehtaLYNC_12-1655500438501.jpeg

User can search for themselves in the To: line when starting a new chat

User sees empty state of a new chat with themselves explaining the feature

User can send themselves messages and try out new features

User sees themselves in the chat list and in the pinned list (can unpin if they want)

User can also access chat with self from their own people card by tapping the leftmost chat icon

User can share things with themselves from their device for easier access later

Flighting status

Available to everyone in Public Preview and mobile apps.

How to enable

Enabled by default for all tenants.

Note: If you need information about enabling the public preview itself, see “Enable the public preview for Teams” below.

Supported clients and platforms

Windows 10

macOS

iOS

Android

Linux

Chrome

Firefox

Safari

Edge

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Known issues

• None

Known limitations

• The content in the self chat is searchable through the search bar at the top of the chat list, however, the user cannot (yet) search for themselves in that search box. 
  • Tenant policies for chat history retention apply to this feature

Enable your Teams client for the public preview 

1. First, IT admins need to set an update policy that turns on Show preview features. Learn how at Public preview in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs.  
  2. Users then choose to join the public preview individually. See Get early access to new Teams features - Office Support (microsoft.com) for instructions. 

Summary of public preview features

For a history of features in the Office and Teams public previews, see Release Notes Current Channel (Preview) - Office release notes | Microsoft Docs.

Send us your feedback 

Got feedback on features in the public preview or other areas of Teams? Let us know straight from Teams via Help Give feedback 

KaushalMehtaLYNC_13-1655500580215.png

Thank you,

Preview Team, @Jason_Schumacher 

Quality & Customer Obsession, Microsoft Teams

10 Replies
I think this will be a popular feature
This feature is not working in our tenant. I have Public Preview enabled. If I try to chat with self I get error--We are sorry - We've run into an issue. Try again.

I had the same issue, but I just went to the web version today and it was pinned to my chats after switching to public preview. After this, I sent a quick message and it began being shown in Teams Desktop (Electron) in public preview and all updates installed as well as Teams iOS and Android.

This one is good. But it does not work on my ios. I have it enabled on my desktop app, and it worked. But I cannot find the chat in ios, although I do have Previewed enabled on my phone
So I've run into a strange hang up. It is telling me that I can't send messages because I'm not a member of the chat... with myself?
Teams does not give you a true choice to remove this feature. You can unpin it but it'll come back and re-pin itself. It's not immediately after restarting Teams, but may require a computer restart. In any case, I've unpinned it at least a dozen times in the past week and it always comes back. This needs to be fixed.

"can unpin if they want" = How can I do that? The only option I see for the chat with myself is the "pop out" button.
Thanks!

How do we turn off this feature permanently? I have tried several times to unpin the "chat with myself" window, but each day it's right back pinned to the top of my chat list. Please provide an option to turn this off permanently!
Please, please, please have a way to permanently turn this off! It's annoying. I hide and unpin and it keeps coming back...like that wart you thought you froze off.