Teams: Student can not edit a returned assignment.

Copper Contributor

Good morning,

When a teacher returns an assignment, my daughter will open the returned assignment, attempt to edit it, but will receive an error message at the top in yellow "Can't upload - Something's wrong and your changes can't be uploaded". It then offers to "save a copy" or "dismiss". 

This error happens even when she turns in an assignment and needs to "undo" the turn in. The assignment will no longer upload the changes/save them. 

We have uninstalled/reinstalled teams. 

We have logged out and back in.

We have waited a few days to see if it just needs time to load properly.

Having the "auto-save" feature "on" or "off" makes no difference as we have tried both ways.

We have tried to manually "save as" with the same document name in order to "replace" the original file. 

The changes will not save and upload.

We have resorted to "saving a copy", renaming it, and uploading it as an additional assignment turned in for the "My Work" section. 

This is difficult for her teachers though, because they are never sure which document to grade and takes more time to review. 

This has also been an incredibly difficult process for my daughter as she would do all of her work only for it to be lost due to the changes not being saved. 

When an assignment is initially assigned, she can edit it and turn it in. 

The error only happens if she "undoes" the turn in or if a teacher returns the assignment to be fixed. 

Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you.

3 Replies

Hello @Josey_King, the possibility to edit and resubmit an assignment depends on a few factors:

• If the teacher has set a hard deadline and the teacher has returned the assignment to the student before the assignment deadline, the student can simply open the work, edit it and resubmit.
  • If the teacher has set a hard deadline and has not yet returned the assignment to the student, if  it is still before the assignment deadline, the student must first click on "Undo hand in", then the student can open the work, edit it and resubmit.
  • If the teacher has not set a hard deadline but allows late returns then the options mentioned above remain available indefinitely.

hth

@Marius Pretorius 

I am a teacher who has used Teams for several years. I add a Word document template for students to edit and turn-in. Once I grade and return, students are usually able to make corrections and submit again. I set a due date but never close the assignment. Some students are having the same issue mentioned in this thread (can't edit after I return) and I can't find any setting on my side that would fix it. 

@lkratzberg If it doesn't work like it states here: Review, return and turn in assignment, then you need to open a support ticket with Microsoft. I haven't done that in ages (opened a support ticket). Please report back here - if you don't mind - how you have resolved the issue.