sample school project with Teams

Iron Contributor

Hi 

Is there a sample project done on implementation of teams for a School education

I am looking for step wise walkthrough.

Thanks

2 Replies

@null null wrote:

Is there a sample project done on implementation of teams for a School education

I am looking for step wise walkthrough.

Dear Null

I haven't come across a sample as such but perhaps I can share something from my experience. I'm aware that some of what I'm stating below is probably a no brainer to you. Nevertheless, I'm stating it for all readers that may come across your question.

There are a variety of implementation scenarios - so I think it is difficult to have a one-size-fits-all. The resources I have pointed you to (AvePoint: A Best Practices & Study Guide to Empower Students, Administrators & Educators) does provide explanations and pointers to help you go in the right direction.

Possible scenarios:

• School-wide adoption for all subjects and all communication
  • Partial adoption for some subjects and some communication

Aspects you need to consider:

• Naming conventions of the teams e.g. different prefix for class teams and faculty teams
  • Life cycle of teams - is the team perpetual, or limited to a year/semester
  • Teams settings: Is chat freely available to all, one-on-one and team chats
  • Standard channels per team or guidelines for channel creation
  • Integration with Ms OneNote
  • Assignment creation guidelines

I think if you get the basics right about which teams to create, what type of teams they should be, the naming conventions and the life cycle of the team - the rest will sort itself out.

In our school we are doing a gradual implementation with early adopters. So I can share a little about my experience. Every subject year group that is going to be using teams should have its own team. You can use School Data Sync to do this automatically. Please go to the SDS Conversation Space for more information on this. I use the prefix Class[year] for class teams followed by the subject and grade e.g. Class2019Maths09. This way I can immediately see whether the team is related to students or faculty. The life cycle of this team is a year, that is why the year is included. I also have a faculty team per subject. This is a perpetual team therefore the prefix is simply Admin followed by the subject and grade. This way everyone can easily see that it is meant for faculty staff for collaboration on the subject. Other faculty teams for more general communication would depend on the institution. (It is not so easy to wean faculty away from other entrenched methods of communication :)

How channels are created in a team really depends on each person. What I've done for Class teams is create a channel for the each section/division of the subject. E.g. for Mathematics some sections could be: Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Statistics and Probability. Each channel gets its own chat space, OneNote Notebook section in the Collaboration space in the OneNote ClassNotebook for that team. You can add tabs for each channel which could be an Office document (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), a PDF document, a website, a Stream video (and/or channel - I think) and a host of other possibilities.

For the faculty teams per subject_grade I create an admin channel as well as a channel per formal assessment. The default general channel is used for, well, general subject related matters and the Admin channel is used for formal subject related curriculum documents. We use the assessment channels for the moderation process. In each channel I will have the assessment, the memo, the cognitive levels analysis and the proof of moderation. An additional feature of channels is that a SharePoint folder is created per channel. Why I find this very helpful, especially for faculty subject teams is that I sync those folders back to my PC hard drive with OneDrive. On my PC it shows the SharePoint site with each team that I've chosen to sync as a folder and the channels as subfolders. Often I prefer to access the documents that way rather than through the Ms Teams interface. It keeps the documents offline and syncs them when any changes are made.

I hope this helps a little.