Planning outreach activities for students - safeguarding restrictions

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I am Outreach Officer for Plymouth Marjon University (UK) and my role is to give information and guidance to students about their future studies, oppurtunities and provide with attainment raising activities. We have moved everything online to include working with students.

I am trying to organise event for students who would apply from multiple of schools and colleges aged 15-16. We would much rather use MS Teams (instead of LIVE) as we want to talk and have virtual interactions via discussions, quizzes, games and breakout rooms. We are aiming to deliver this across multiple days (multiple meetings). We do have however some concerns about safeguarding, we would need to have following controls in place for this to proceed;

1. Students must not see other participants surnames - is this something that can be restricted in Information Barriers? Or can students surnames simply be typed as initial in Active Directory? E.g. Adam Smith would be Adam S ?

2. Student interacting with other students during of after meeting - I have read that there are Information Barriers - would those apply to a specific meeting or a team? To make those IBs work, would you suggest creating a team with all of those students or would simply having MS Teams meeting invitations work? 

"Information barriers applies to Microsoft Teams (chats and channels), SharePoint Online and OneDrive. In Microsoft Teams, information barrier policies determine and prevent the following kinds of unauthorized communications:

Searching for a user

Adding a member to a team

Starting a chat session with someone

Starting a group chat

Inviting someone to join a meeting

Sharing a screen

Placing a call

Sharing a file with another user

Access to file through sharing link"

Is there anything else anyone would suggest to create safe learning enviroment, or anyone that has been working with students to share any best practice? 

Much appriciated

Maciej

0 Replies