Meeting Settings

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I'm not sure if these settings exist, but I am really hoping that they do (I am a high school math teacher).

• Is there a way to control who can start a scheduled meeting? Right now, it seems that students can start the meeting on their own, and it is really not good to allow students to be in a video chat together unsupervised.
  • Is there a way to block people from using the chat feature unless you allow it? There are times when I want students to give me feedback on something, but the rest of the time, I don't really want them in the chat posting memes or potentially writing things that are inappropriate.

These are my only questions right now, but I am new to teams and I'm sure there will be more need of different settings like these as I go. I have successfully made myself as the only presenter (so no one can screen share their video games or whatever they're doing) and I know about the "end meeting" button. Any other helpful settings that you know of would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Paige

2 Replies

@PaigeFarrell Just a quick reply from my experience. Perhaps others will still pitch in.

• Is there a way to control who can start a scheduled meeting?
    From my experience - No. The work around is to set up the meeting just before you are about to start, not long before. Ms Teams was built for the corporate environment and still needs a lot of polishing for the school environment. What is also a bit scary is this power in the hands of students - because they can set up their own meetings. The calling policy is separate from the messaging policy. They can have one on one or group calls. This can also be switched off - but then you lose the ability to have live meetings with them, and or sharing your desktop to demonstrate something.
  • Is there a way to block people from using the chat feature unless you allow it?
    Again from my (limited) experience. We blocked individual chatting. There is a messaging policy that you can set for that. That does not block the learners from responding in the posts area of a channel in a team. To manage that, you can either mute the learners in the team. You can mute them all or individually. That mutes them across the team in all the channels. Further you can individually manage channels by setting moderation to on. (See Manage Channel Moderation) You can also set individual posts to whether everyone can reply or only you and other moderators. Unfortunately there is no way at present to switch off emojis. You can switch off Giffs.

@PaigeFarrell Here are my responses to your questions -

Is there a way to control who can start a scheduled meeting? This is not possible in meetings except in Live Events via Global (Org-wide default) policy in the Microsoft Teams Admins center, however Customized policies can be created by your Microsoft 365 Administrator - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/microsoftteams/meeting-policies-in-teams?WT.mc_id=TeamsAdminCenterC...

Is there a way to block people from using the chat feature unless you allow it? This is tricky at this point, yet again your Microsoft 365 Administrator can turn chat off for all students , there is no feature that allows for putting off and on of chat by team owners

it? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/messaging-policies-in-teams

On your last question, we might start a uservoice on adding this feature in the Manage Team > Settings > Member permission area 

Member Permission.PNGMicrosoft Teams Quick Start Guide  - Follow the link for more settings you might find helpful.