Importing an existing Class NoteBook into a new Team

Copper Contributor

I am trying to import an existing Class NoteBook into a new Team. I have been using the NoteBook with Students to share resources & enable them to upload evidence of research work into their individual One Notebooks for me to see. 

I have set up the Team however when I go to the Class NoteBook tab & select the option to use an existing Class NoteBook, it's only showing me the options to bring over the Collaboration & Content Library sections; I can't see a way for it to bring in the Student Notebooks. I asked about this at a Microsoft Teams event & was told that in theory it should work but to log it as an issue if it doesn't.

Thanks

4 Replies

Hi @DebDury we do not have the student sections in the Class Notebook import. We intentionally chose to not try and sync your student rosters from one notebook to another. 

One thing many educators do is store all of the student content in the Teacher Only section. This way you can re-distribute the content to students. This Class Notebook import was really designed for new class teams you're teaching and not meant to bring over a notebook mid-year that you didn't create in Teams.

Hi @Justin Chando , is there any plan to change the current policy. It is THE single most frustrating aspect of Teams that you cannot simply pick a notebook off the OneNote shelf and use it wholesale in Teams.

I get that you want an alternative, but would also imagine that many people (several colleagues here anyway) want just to be able to have a seamless transition from using onenote to using it within Teams without redoing lots of work.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease can a workaround be generated?

Thanks

@Keulie 

Our school is currently looking at ways to make online learning a bit more user-friendly and easy for both our staff and students. For a community that are not very tech-literate we would really appreciate any help we can get in reaching this goal. Our ability to simply transfer existing class notebooks into Teams is definitely one please. It will surely save time and effort that is desperately needed elsewhere and encourages colleagues, students and families that are new to this platform to engage with it. I really do hope that your team can figure out a way to grant us this ability. I assure you it will be greatly appreciated by educators at the least.

@DebDury  One other option you consider here for future reference. If you have student sections in the existing Notebook that match the students in the new Teams Class Notebook. You could copy and paste the sections over from each student notebook to the corresponding student section in the new Teams Class Notebook. Open both the existing Class Notebook and the new Teams Class Notebook in the desktop version of OneNote. Click on the student's names to open their Class Notebook section>Use shift and click to copy all sections of that student's notebook. Go to the new Teams Class Notebook>Click on the student's name to open their notebook>Paste in the sections from the existing Class Notebook. This may cause problems with files that are linked in the existing Class Notebook not being available in the new Teams Class Notebook.