What is the future of Teams client logging?

Super Contributor

Currently we can see only one hour behind. If users were not fast, we cannot catch the problem anymore. What is the idea of this, and will this be improved?

Can we have centralized logging somehow?

When you are using different apps in Teams, where do they are writing the logs?

2 Replies

Hi @Petri X - let me break this down a bit from the questions you have!

• What is the idea of this, and will this be improved?
  • Can we have centralized logging somehow?
    • Unfortunately nothing on this today, but there are ways through other methods to pull the logs.txt file off any local user machine if you wish. 
  • When you are using different apps in Teams, where do they are writing the logs?

Thanks!

Sam

Hi@Sam Cosby 

1. "Real Time", I have had many logs where I have seen containing last hour, and then from previous day as well. So not sure about that. But what I wish to see there, that I could get more than last hour. E.g. 48 hours (even more). Reason for this is pure troubleshooting:

a) Users never remember that keyboard stuff CAS1. When they do, issue is wipe out already.

b) When doing analyzing, it would be much more helpful if I could analyze longer logs to see if problem is happening frequently. With last hour, you really keep us blind.

2. Log.txt... that contains lot of history data, but is pretty light version. It is hard to be used for any real troubleshooting. If the centralized logging is not possible, then it would be helpful if you could make possible that end user does not need to collect those logs. When coming from Skype world, this behavior looks extremely odd :)

3. Are you sure? E.g. Shift, WhiteBoard, Yammer, etc...  write the logs using the same rules? So far my experience has been different when trying to troubleshoot these. Even when I have been working with your support people, they have not found anything. But then this means that I need to get more experience from this and find the logs. May I ask one hope, could you please open this puzzle a bit and say if other apps are using the same log files than Teams or do they write own files but into same path?