PnP templating - a suported scenario?

Deleted
Not applicable

I am a big fan of the PnP initiative and in partocular the PnP provisioning. We use it, among other things, to apply a custom document content type across the enterprise. This is a simple extension of the base document content type with a couple of additional columns.

Now this works really well and is super-powerful. But I am wondering if such a mod would be a supported scenario in teams. I ask because certain assumptions are made on the underlying doclib (such as folders for channels). So if I used PnP to extend the base content type and add some columns, would this be a reasonable scenario?

Paul...

p.s when you think about it, channels lends itself well to the location defaults feature in SharePoint. Once Teams PnP support happens for things like creating channels, extending it to then apply location defaults on the backend lib activates some powerful enterprise search scenarios...

4 Replies

The PnP approach to custom provisioning forms and logic can be implemented to build a custom form and process that captures specific attributes and stores them in a SP custom list. You can review the options in more depth here from a "Create site" perspective off of the SharePoint home in Office 365: "Manage site creation in SharePoint Online": https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Manage-site-creation-in-SharePoint-Online-e72844a3-0171-47c...

Have a read at the options and ping here with any follow up.

@Sean Squires

So I am not asking how to do it, but whether there is any liklihood that applying a PnP template to modify the SP doc lib has any future implications? ie Are assumptions being made that that underlying lib should be left well alone?

As a precedent of my concern, I am sure some people have found out what happens when the channel folders are renamed :)

It's a full SharePoint Online document library, with a current simplified view from within #MSTeams, however if you go to the site, we support all configuration and extensibility of a modern document library; more here: 

"Update on Modern Document Libraries and Extensibility" [posted 7/1/16 to Office dev blog]: http://officedevcentersite-release.azurewebsites.net/blogs/update-on-modern-document-libraries-and-e...

First time I had a user rename one of those folders, I ended up with the the equivalent in Microsoft terms of a Sev A 24x7 ticket opened and escalated all the way to me because to them it looked like their data had been lost in Teams itself. They certainly felt foolish when I showed them what had happened (with the audit log event of who had done it).

Not sure what could be done about something like that, but a good point of feedback that there are opportunities inside here for users to do some extreme panic inducing things still.