SOLVED

Outlook and Teams

Occasional Contributor

Switching between communication tools is very costly in terms of an individual's focus and productivity. So, when will Teams replace Outlook?

8 Replies
I don't think it ever will. You could bring Outlook tab into Teams to streamline it into a single app, but you will still be switching between tabs to accomplish E-mail vs chat. you could make sure of activity feed however by combining both that way and deep linking across, but that would be the only benefit I could see by doing so.

your question is very interesting, because, i view with my customers that, when users use and adopt Teams, emailing usage will decrease. But i understand that is it important to send an email to an external contact. And i think like you it will be greater if from the left navigation bar we've got a shortcut to send quick external email. But you can also add a tab who point to Outlook web app to do that.
+1 to bring outlook tab into teams. 1 client to rule them all.

That was my Teams training presentation name. "One Tool to rule them all" but after explaining how teams work I would transition back to the opening slide and mark out rule and replace it with "Connect". 

Another way to look at it is: how many different desktop client need to be installed and supported on the computer? During this "paradigm shifting" period, we have the followings:

1. Outlook
  2. Skype for Business
  3. Skype
  4. Teams
  5. web browsers (SharePoint)

In my opinion, the less the better, and the more the more fragmentation of task switching (what was I doing), distraction (need to respond to that notification), and searching (where did I have that conversation); moreover, Teams is not yet supported by ODT nor Office 365 ProPlus installer.

https://medium.com/time-dorks/my-year-with-a-distraction-free-iphone-and-how-to-start-your-own-exper...

Agree with Chris Webb. It is really about what type of communications you want to achieve. Teams is Team Collaboration or what Microsoft call the Inner Loop of immediate Team Members. Yammer is the Outer loop or broader organisation for things like announcements or org-wide praise. Email is for targeted communications away from any sort of public forum. I totally get the centralising tendency to have one app for everything, but I also think it is good to have specific apps which do things very very well
I agree email and chat are different types of communications (and email is probably not going to die soon), but when it come to search, the fragmentation (trying to remember on which tool you or someone said something) is a pain point that needs some attentions.

While some of us had already been through this deja vu a decade ago with IMs (ICQ/AIM/MSN/Skype/XMPP/Trillian/Pidgin/Miranda IM) and blogs, or recently Twitter/FB/WhatsApp/Ig/Snapchat/Viber/LinkedIn/Line/Telegram plus email/SMS/iMessage on mobile devices, having a one-tool-rule-them-all app that can handle conversation and email implies searching would happen within one app, not manually across multiple apps; plus, less apps means easier app deployment, less maintenance, and less end-user adaption training/support.
best response confirmed by Neel Joshi (TEAMS) (Microsoft)
Solution

Outlook and Teams are two of the core collaboration hubs in O365. The two teams are working closely together to ensure that there are bridges between the two hubs to help users easily transition when they need to. I don't have a timeline to share but you can track this UV ticket for updates in the future.