SOLVED

On-premise on roadmap for Teams?

Occasional Visitor

Hey,

Wondering what the roadmap looks like as far as bringing Teams out of the O365 at some point as an option for on-premise deployment (ie Skype for Business Server 2019)?

We are very eager to settle on a team collaboration solution, and there being no on-premise option for Teams is causing us to seek more clarity on the eventual plans around this.

Thank you in advance!

Andrew

5 Replies
I don’t speak for Microsoft here , but I find this highly unlikely!
best response confirmed by Laurie Pottmeyer (Microsoft)
Solution
Absolutely understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately, the only roadmap at the moment is https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap and there is nothing on there or nothing I have heard of. Unfortunately, I would agree with Adam here as it being highly unlikely, hence why Skype exists 2019 and everything in 365 is moving to Teams.

It would be very short-sighted of MS to restrict such services to Online only.  There are many organizations with significant proprietary data that should never be on a public server.  This prevents organizations with Enterprise licenses to fully employ the tools available as part of their purchase.

It would be a pity... I also think that would be a misjudgement ...

#Teams for EU governments?

Working a lot with EU governments/ government agencies - #GDPR and #CloudAct makes #Teams a solution out of scope for all EU based government agencies - a huge market that obviously also will affect #O365 sales/licenses.

All strategies/architectures I have been working on are #Hybrid based.

To me when everything in the stack is virtualised and containerbased services connected w #API it would be strange not to be able to run #Teams on premise either through a virtual implementation of the product itself or through an onpremise #Azurestack.

Anyone from @microsoft that care to comment on this?