SOLVED

Linking Teams to pre-existing OneNote notebooks

Highlighted
Contributor

Is there an ETA for the ability to add pre-existing OneNote items as separate tabs within a channel?

95 Replies
Highlighted
We're working on this! Its a highly requested feature. Sorry for any trouble its causing. As a workaround, you can post the OneNote as a website or just a link on your Wiki tab.
Highlighted
Thanks for the tip!
Highlighted

Thanks for the recent update. 

When can we expect this feature to be released or at least ready for Preview testing?

Is there a ETA for this feature ?
Highlighted

Great!!!! When will that feature be launched? anytime soon?

It would be of great importance to also share only a section as a tab on team channels.

Keep up the hard work...

Cheers..

Mahd T

Highlighted
Hello Suphatra, I'm unable to link a OneNote based in sharepoint via website. After going thru the authentication it says: "Item does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.
Correlation ID: f618f79d-0035-0000-517c-145e2864c8e
Appreciate further insights?

Thanks for reading.
Highlighted

Can anyone provide an update with specific info?  when can we link an existing One-Note notebook with MS Teams?  and how is that done?  

Highlighted

I'm waiting for any update too.  For now and until I get any new info, I copied the link from the OneNote notebook in Sharepoint then added a Weblink Tab to Teams using that URL and it works fine.  You may wish to try that as a workaround. 

Highlighted

While I know that everyone is waiting for an update as to when this feature would be available, I would like to define the use case a little more:

1. I have an existing OneNote Notebook - this may be within a SharePoint Team site or an Office 365 generated team site

2. I would like to open that OneNote notebook within a tab in Microsoft Teams (not generate another notebook)

3. When I open the OneNote notebook I would like all the sections and pages within the notebook to be available to my users within Microsoft Teams, within the team site and of course within the OneNote application itself creating a single source location where the notes can be found

I beleive that this is what most people here are defining, so hopefully this makes sense

Highlighted

Hello,

I thought the functionality to link a pre-existing OneNote to a Teams session was already available? I thought I had seen then before, but was it just to OneNote online? Or the actual OneNote?

Thanks!

Highlighted

We would like to request this feature as well. 

Does anyone know if you could create a new Onenote NoteBook in Teams and then just copy all of the existing content from the shared notebook to the new one and delete the old?

Highlighted

Any word on this release date? I need to know if it's worth the work of copying everyone over, or if I should just wait because it will be soon. Please let me know. Thanks!

Highlighted

that is exactly the situation we are in. we have several gigabytes of notes in existing Notebooks which we would like to 'migrate' to Teams

Highlighted

I cannot get this strategy to work. I copy the link, insert it as a new Sharepoint tab, click Next, and then nothing happens.  Only the «previous» button is active.  Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you.

@Jon Brooks wrote:

I'm waiting for any update too.  For now and until I get any new info, I copied the link from the OneNote notebook in Sharepoint then added a Weblink Tab to Teams using that URL and it works fine.  You may wish to try that as a workaround. 

Highlighted

Never mind. I was trying to add it as a Sharepoint Site.  In order for it to work, one must use the Web Site  add on, NOT the Sharepoint add-on.  Thank you for this work around, Jon Brooks.

@Nathalie MacDonald wrote:

I cannot get this strategy to work. I copy the link, insert it as a new Sharepoint tab, click Next, and then nothing happens.  Only the «previous» button is active.  Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you.

@Jon Brooks wrote:

Highlighted

Thanks!  This worked for me.  It opens OneNote web in the Teams tab.  I used the function "Clip Notebook Webview Link" (there is also an Edit link) from within OneNote, by right clicking on the notebook I wanted to open in Teams.  (from the pull down list of notebooks)

Highlighted

Additionally, it would be helpful to link to a specific section within the OneNote notebook.  For example, the Team may have a notebook with multiple sections for each channel.  They want to retain all the Team content within 1 OneNote, grouped with sections for each channel.  

It allowed me to add a website link, but you get following message: "Last time we checked, this site wouldn't load inside our web app."  It then provides you options (one of which is to "go to the website"), which works but it would be better if it recognized it immediately as OneNote.

Highlighted

Hi! I would be so happy if this could work, but I´ve tried Nathalies solution, to just copy link to the onenote and paste it when clicking the "website"app. Glen, you mention another way, but I cannot find the option for "Clip Notebook Webview Link". Could you maybe add a screenshot from where you do that? Thanks in advance! 

Highlighted

Capture OneNote Web View Link.JPG

Sure, here you go.  What may have not been clear in my post is that you clip the link from within OneNote 2016, not from Teams.  The screen shot above shows what happens when you right-click on the name of a notebook in OneNote 2016.  Choose either the Web Edit or Web View links and then paste that link into Teams using the instructions in this thread.