Linking Teams to pre-existing OneDrive, Document Library and OneNote items

New Contributor

Is there a way or will there be a way to allow us to link a Team to an existing OneDrive location? The same question can be asked for OneNote notebooks.

We use ODFB and ON a lot for the gathering of our customer and business information. Teams is looking promising however it's missing that link to data that is already existing.

Thanks for reading!

16 Replies

Why would you want to link a Team of users to a personal ODFB doc library ?

Teams can optionally link to existing private Office 365 group during creation or create a new group - both of which have a Files area. In addition an Office 365 Group can have a full blown SharePoint Team Site behind it and any document library located there can be added as an additional tab in a Team channel

Perhaps linking to a personal ODFB library is not ideal. What I instead meant, was SharePoint document library. We have team sites in SP with our customer related info. Teams overlaying on top would be perfect, allow us to jump into the customer OneNote & Library without the need to create a new, separate Notebook & Library.

@Ian Moran wrote:

Why would you want to link a Team of users to a personal ODFB doc library ?

Teams can optionally link to existing private Office 365 group during creation or create a new group - both of which have a Files area. In addition an Office 365 Group can have a full blown SharePoint Team Site behind it and any document library located there can be added as an additional tab in a Team channel

Perhaps because people simply don't like SharePoint (althought this is a concept that people in Microsoft seem unable to grasp)

@Scott McCann but you can do that already. In the Channel just click the + sign to add an additional SharePoint document library. Add as many as you wish.

Then use Slack or similar.

IMO the SharePoint team are doing a brilliant job 

Seconding what Ian has mentioned below.

using the + symbol you can connect to pre-existing OneNotes and SharePoint document libraries in other locations than the Groups own Site collection.

Sadly @Antony Taylor, when it comes to adding additional OneNote Notebooks, it creates and additional Section in the same notebook

Good catch thanks Ian.

@Ian Moran I've converted an exsting group that already had files and a group OneNote attached and unfortunately after converting the group to a team, these files and OneNote are not linked to the team. I would have hoped that these would come across. The number of files and the size of the OneNote are quite siginificant, so I can't just transfer them. Especially since we have quite a large number of groups in our organization that have files and Onenotes.....

Very odd, this has worked for me. So where does the Team OneNote & Files area actually reference ?

the help articles say:

Can I connect my existing OneNote when adding a OneNote tab?

Unfortunately, we don't support connecting existing notebooks at this time. You can, however, move OneNote content into your team notebook by navigating to your existing notebook, copying the text you want preserved, and pasting it into a new OneNote tab.

Doesn't work for me either. Files is just empty of the default channel in the General tab although the original Office Group had plenty of files stored.

Any idea how to get it to work?
Are the Files for the O365 Group stored in "Files" or in the "Site"? Used to, the O365 Group had a separate storage location for Files vs the actual SharePoint site library. If yours is in this location, move them into the General folder within the SharePoint library (probably download/upload) so they will show in Teams.

I'd like to know if anyone has solved this. We have files both in our O365 group and files we've pushed into the Sharepoint Library. We use the O365 area for files that won't necessarily been evergreened, files that are getput in the Sharepoint library ( right click > save to group library). We are bouncing around Outlook groups, Yammer and Teams to see which will be the right blend of fucntionality and user adoption as dynamic workspaces on top of Sharepoint's Workflows and Powerapps. I've added the teams fucntionality to an established O365 group and files from neither location are showing up in Teams.

This was what I was looking for, thanks.

I've done this, but I have no content within Teams that reflects the many Section Groups and sub folders that I've created.  For now, I'll just use it as a link, but the tab idea is pretty useless at the moment for many businesses that fully use OneNote