Full text search in Wiki or OneNote tabs

Contributor

When will it be possible to perform a full text search in a Wiki or OneNote page on a Teams channel?

32 Replies
Hey Scott! This is a set of features we're definitely thinking about, feel free to post this feedback on UserVoice so that we can get feedback from other members of the community! https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/

Hi Mark, thanks for your feedback. This has been suggested in UserVoice already, so I'll try to campaign for it a bit more.

I have been building a Knowledge Base based on OneNote, and I would love to add this to Teams without having to copy and paste everything over.

This isn't ideal as an answer to your question, but I find that working with the OneNote pages in OneNote directly is a much better experience for me today. The channels all get their own section and roll up into one notebook, so to search across all notes, I just use the OneNote 2016 desktop app instead. The channels still update and work more for my targeted information consumers rather than the heavy note producers working across channels. 

Hi Todd, thanks. That is a good approach and we are doing something similar at the moment.
I'm hoping that a smooth Integration of OneNote into Teams will help me convince my colleagues to switch over to Teams.

I think it could be close to all-in-one tool for us (chat, knowledge management, document sharing) but only if I can convince everyone else to get on board.

Thinking about it?

You have a team wiki that is unsearchable and you're only thinking about it?

An FAQ or wiki that is not searchable out of the box is useless, when it has more than sparse data.

I would love it if Microsoft would think ahead and the common functionality needed, build it in, test it many times, and then release it. Instead of backwards.

+1 William Bronson. Integrated searching across all content is absolutely mission critical for a team communication application like this. My company is evaluating Teams and has hit this wall.

Mark Rubenstein, what is the plan for how sharepoint's wikis will/will not integrate with Teams? Is there something in this answer that explains why Teams' wiki feature is "less-featured"? Answers to these questions will help us decide whether to use Teams, and where to put cross-team content if we do. (Sharepoint vs Teams).

Microsoft are you actually serious about this product or just playing with us?

Maybe I will come back in a few years when the product and clearly it seems that the Teams development has matured...

No search across a wiki pages. The thing you actually want to use as a reference for your staff?

Face palm.

Product Fail.

This is a really important piece - Microsoft, we need this...

@Kevin Davies wrote:

Microsoft are you actually serious about this product or just playing with us?

A bit harsh I know but then what is the point of having wiki pages? If you have no search the only person who can find anything in your wiki collection is the person who built them.

Hello folks,

could it really be, that there is still no fulltext search available in the Teams-Wiki?

I just spent a few hours to create some wiki pages (e. g. a glossar) and then I realized that there seems to be no search option available and then I googled it and ended up here .

I guess I should have used google in the first place - but who would have expected that?

What is the timeline behind this top of the notch feature ?

I have to totally agree with William Bronson. I created 4 documents in the wiki before I realized that I couldn't search. Unbelievable. That's not a wiki, that's ridiculous. What we've resorted to is having the users access the wiki from their browser instead of the desktop application so that they can use the browser search in the section they're looking at.

I know, it's crazy right? Why even offer the feature if it hasn't been implemented properly?!? I realise 0365 is a loosely couple collection of apps but search is a very basic elementary function. Especially in document you want to use as a reference! Microsoft will continue to follow their most popular votes get developed strategy but holes in the product like this invalidate their usefulness. I've stopped recommending the wiki feature entirely because of it.
I know, it's crazy right? Why even offer the feature if it hasn't been implemented properly?!? I realise 0365 is a loosely couple collection of apps but search is a very basic elementary function. Especially in document you want to use as a reference! Microsoft will continue to follow their most popular votes get developed strategy but holes in the product like this invalidate their usefulness. I've stopped recommending the wiki feature entirely because of it.

Frustrating is all I can say. Seems that Teams could do a lot for us, but this missing search function in Wiki just doesn't make sense. 

Please MS make it happen

Hello,

I totally agree with the complains and complains too.

After more than One Year since the first complain, the function is still not heard...

This is amazing as teams looks like very usefull, but without this seach function extended to wiki or added features, Teams just become useless.....

Hope this search feature will be added soon

Agreeing with everything that's said. You can "search" wikis in Files, but it returns an mht file that can't be previewed... so not that useful. 

Global search doesnt work with WIKI. We need this! 

Wow! My first thought as I began looking at Teams wiki for use as a KB was how searchable is this and is it searchable across public teams. I guess not. That shuts down my effort.

Hello,

Again, here, one stupified user of Teams / Wiki. I just spent a couple of days writing pages for a Teams wiki, as I had understood that this is the Microsoft approach to a knowledge base to which every team member can contribute. But seriously, a knowledge base that isn't searchable? 

Back to Atlassian Confluence then. 

Best regards,

Sandra